Saturday, April 10, 2010

Eats

No good deed shall remain unturned!



Eats is over on Clement Street in the Inner Richmond.

I have been meaning to check out this "new-old" spot for a few months now since they reopened under new ownership; they kept the old name and same location. The old Eats was more of a little family-owned breakfast joint. The new incarnation is part of the Burma Superstar/B Star Cafe "chain" of eateries all located along the early avenues on Clement Street ~ just no specific Burmese breakfast items on the menu (I asked).

Their breakfast menu was a nice mixture. For which, I had trouble deciding on what item to choose. I like those kind of problems. I finally went with the
Poached Eggs Italian:
Poached eggs over spicy tomato sauce topped with sautéed red be
ll peppers, broccolini* (which they had "mispeled" as "brocollini" on the menu), (crisp Prosciutto ~ which I skipped) and toast.
The spicy tomato sauce was good ~ not that spicy, but tasty. I also ordered a side o’ home fried potatoes to round it out; made with red potatoes ~ nice. The meal started with a fresh baked mini-scone (bite-sized little thingy) with fresh raspberry jam.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the meal today… oops! I am sure I will be going back again one day, so, no worries.

There were some nice pluses (other than the good food). They offered a few different types o' hot sauces: (plain ol') Tabasco®, Cholula® (both regular and a new "Chili Lime" flavour), and
Tapatio®. I wasn’t planning on them having this many choices, so I had come prepared with a couple from my own stash: El Yucateco® Chipotle Habañero and a Piri-Piri Lemon one (a Português import). I didn’t notice the new Cholula® until after I had already applied some of my own to the potatoes. I would like to have tried it; I will look for it the next time I am out of my own bottle of Cholula®. Also, they have pepper mills on every table ~ which is great as I love fresh-ground pepper!

Just a few negatives, they had also "mispeled" "shitake mushrooms" on the menu (it should be "shiitake" and the "mushroom" part is kinda superfluous… needlessly excessive and unnecessary even). Their coffee was just okay, not that great (however, better than the swill I usually make, and it really didn’t stop me from getting a couple of refills); because of which, I felt it necessary (not superfluous) to get another cup of coffee further up on Clement Street at Martha & Bros.® (always a decent cuppa).

http://www.marthabros.com/index.html

Eats was pretty packed even at 9:00am on a Saturday morning. There was a couple at the next table (that could have held four people) and after already ordering (but not being served yet) they moved to a table for three to make room for a group of four adults and one baby. So I sneakily paid for their meal and left… that'll teach 'em to be nice to people!!! (The waitress almost wouldn't let me pay for their meal, but I insisted and told her to make sure that the couple give them a better tip in return.) I like to do this once in a while, it messes with people and they can’t figure out what my motives are. Simply put, I just like to mess with people and have them try and figure out why a complete stranger would pay for their meal.



Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Eggs ~ 6.7; Mini Scones ~ 6.5; Potatoes ~ 6.2; Coffee ~ 5.5; Martha & Bros.® Coffee ~ 6.7

*(Not to be confused with its cousin, that “vile weed” broccoli, broccolini is a much better vegetable in my not-so humble opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccolini

As a long-standing vegetabletarian, I have never hidden my dislike for the vile weed; I will begrudgingly eat it, but normally shy away from it on menus if possible.)

No comments:

Post a Comment