Sunday, April 4, 2010

Nibs Bakery & Cafe

Scones, Coffee, Clean Clothes… and Clam Chowdah?



Nibs Bakery & Cafe is located in the outer reaches of the Richmond District where the fog banks meet Balboa Street ~ over by the Balboa Theatre, the Hockey Haven (Since 1949), and Gus’ Discount Fishing Tackle* (‘cause full-rate tackle is just too darn expensive).

I was not planning on going here this morning. I was fully expecting to go to Simple Pleasures again, but there were no parking spots nearby, and, as it was Laundry Day, I didn’t feel like schlepping my baskets a few blocks away. So I went to another local laundromat** which is about three blocks down the street. And as luck would have it, it is right next door to Nibs.


Nibs
has excellent scones, pastries, and coffee. The scones are usually fresh and warm right out of the oven. Soft and moist ~ not your brick hard standard coffee shop variety. I bought both a Crystallized Ginger (chock full o’ nuts… or ginger, so to speak) and Apricot Brandy.


The coffee that they sell is from Due Torri Coffee (a local Artisan Roasted/Handcrafted roastery). They have 4-5 different flavours (blends, whatever) from which to choose. I had the Ethiopian today. It is a medium-roast, but was actually very strong and full of flavour.

http://www.duetorricoffee.com/

Nibs is both a dog-friendly and smoker-friendly place (“Hi, Dave!”). They have a nice bench seat out front or some small tables inside. They are only open for breakfasts (Clam Chowder?) seven days a week. I really can’t comment on the c
lam chowdah; but, who am I to talk, I like hummus on my bagels better than cream cheese.
















Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Scones ~ 7.0; Coffee ~ 6.5; Clam Chowdah ~ ?.?

*(I just hope this isn’t where they get the clams for their chowdah, as it is directly across the street.)
**(I remember when I was living in Berlin, there was a laundromat right next door to a place I used to get my car washed. The name of the place was “Wash-o-Mat”, which auf Deutsch is pronounced "Vash-o-Mat". I always thought that if I ever opened a laundromat, I would call it "Ваша Mать", which is pronounced the same in Russian and means "Yo' mamma!".)

No comments:

Post a Comment