Monday, June 14, 2010

JAVA BEACH CAFE at the Zoo

The Lenny & George Back-up Plan



http://www.javabeachcafe.com/


I got up this morning planning on going to the San Francisco Zoo and eating breakfast across the street at John's Ocean Beach Cafe (sans accent aigu, s'il vous plaît), but found out that they are closed on Mondays… how dare they close on a day of my vacation!

As I was already over by the Zoo and didn't feel like heading anywhere else to find another place for breakfast, I went to Java Beach Cafe at the Zoo (aussi sans accent aigu), which was just two blocks up the street ~ next door to the United Irish Cultural Center (feel free to supply your own humorous oxymoron jokes here) and across the street from the old Doggie Diner head.





Java Beach Cafe is your typical coffeehouse with a minimal breakfast menu. I had a (sesame) bagel sandwich with hummus and veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, and sprouts) and an orange juice. I had stopped at Simple Pleasures Cafe on my way over there as I knew the coffee at John's is not really all that great; if I had known John's was closed, I probably would have either skipped the coffee from Simple Pleasures and gotten one at Java Beach, or just had breakfast at Simple Pleasures (their bagel with hummus and veggies is still better).

Some cool things about Java Beach: while sitting there eating my bagel sandwich, I heard a song by Peter Case* being played on their stereo (I asked them and they said it was on a digital radio channel), you never hear Peter Case songs on standard Rock-and/or-Roll radio stations; and they offer Ice Cream-Free Wi-Fi ~ which is great if you want to surf the World Wild Web and are lactose intolerant.





Unfortunately, I still didn't get a chance to use my brand new Sylvia's Restaurant® Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce, which I had brought with me and planned to use at John's. (Sorry, Sean, next weekend.)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Bagel Sandwich ~ 6.0; Simple Pleasures Coffee ~ 7.0; Day at the Zoo ~ 7.0


*(Peter Case was the lead singer/songwriter in the 80's Power Pop group the Plimsouls; their one major hit was "A Million Miles Away"; but now Peter is mainly a Folk Rock singer. I have seen him play a few times in San Francisco. He is worth checking out if you get the chance. He only plays small clubs now-a-days, so it is always an intimate acoustic setting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment