Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kate’s Kitchen

I’ll Have Another Cup of Coffee, Just No Cell Phones, Please



On my way to breakfast this morning at Kate's Kitchen, I was pulled over by a police car. I had no idea what I was being pulled over for, as I knew I wasn't speeding along Geary Boulevard (or, if I was, I was speeding slower than the rest of the traffic). The police officer asked me, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" It was too early in the morning to come up with a wise-ass reply, so I just told him no. He said for using a cell phone while driving…


Here is where I need to point out two things:
1) In the great State of Callie-Forn-Ee-Ya, it is illegal to drive while talking on a cell phone without a hands-free device;
and
2) I do not own a cell phone ~ I have never owned a cell phone, I hate 'em, I refuse to buy one, I plan on being the last person on the planet to ever have one (and if I was the last person on the planet, what the heck would I need a cell phone for, anyway?).

Apparently, the police officer saw what he thought looked like a cell phone in my hands. It was my pair of sunglasses that I had hanging from my shirt collar. Embarrassed, he said he wasn't going to give me a ticket, anyway; that he was just going to warn me. I thanked him for his diligence and told him the next time he pulls someone over for the same offense, he can feel free to give them a ticket. I continued to say that if he sees a pedestrian jay-walking while talking on their cell phone and not paying attention, to also give them a ticket. In fact, anyone that is sitting at a coffee shop with other people at their table and they are talking on their cell phone and rudely avoiding their friends, to give them a ticket, too. I think he got my point.

Anyway, back to breakfast and… Kate's Kitchen is a nice little place in the Lower Haight. They have a lot of good daily breakfast specials and several good things on their standard menu. I used to go there more often, and even had them in my "Rotation" of breakfast places once.* I am not sure if there is an actual "Kate" involved with the restaurant; I may have asked at one time, but forgot to find out today.

http://www.kates-kitchensf.com/

I had the Vegi Scramble: roasted Anaheim chilies, avocado, yellow squash, tomato, red onion, garlic, topped with salsa and Cotija cheese. Anaheim chilies are a little less spicy than Jalapeños, but slightly hotter than a Pasilla pepper. Cotija cheese is a Mexican version of Parmesan crossed with Feta. It was all very good.



They actually have a good selection of hot sauces from which to choose, which is nice (though I had brought a couple of my own with me just in case). They offer regular Tabasco®, Trappey's® Jalapeño Sauce, Mezzetta's® Hot Sauce, and Tapatio®.

And this morning, after I had already paid for the meal, the waitress actually asked me if I would like some more coffee. I declined as I had already had too many cups and didn't want to be up all night (or pulled over again for driving under the influence)…


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Breakfast ~ 6.5; Coffee ~ 6.3


*(I stopped going there regularly years ago after they pissed me off one time ~ and it had nothing to do with a cellular phone. They have really good coffee that has roasted chicory added to it ~ à la mode N'Orleans. I usually get a few refills while I am waiting for the food to arrive and while I am eating. They never have a problem with it as the coffee is free refills. Well, this one time I had finished my meal and paid for it and asked for a top-off while I was sitting there. The waitress informed me that it was their "policy" to not give any refills after the meal had been paid. I told her that if I had known that, I just wouldn't have paid until I had another refill. So, I stopped going there for over a year. Their breakfasts and coffee are good, but they are not that good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment