Sunday, June 13, 2010

Town's End Restaurant & Bakery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g




"Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals…" is not really necessary when having breakfast at Town's End Restaurant & Bakery as it is just over on the Embarcadero (a few blocks from AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants) and readily accessible; just bring your appetite and wallet.

http://www.townsendrb.com/

All breakfasts start with a basket of mini-muffins and scones from their bakery. Today mine included: 2 blueberry muffins, 1 cranberry muffin, and 1 scone. This may not seem like much, but, in addition to the meal, I hardly finished what I had. Add to these their homemade jams, which are fresh and change weekly ~ this week it was raspberry jam.




I had the Frittata Burrata ~ fresh artichoke hearts, "organic" (they make a point of stating they use "organic" vegetables and fruits in their menu whenever possible; however, I really wouldn't know "organic" from "inorganic") asparagus, roasted (they did not specify if it was "organic") garlic, and Juliet "organic" (specified) cherry tomatoes & burrata mozzarella (whatever the heck that is, probably Italiano for "organic"). Thankfully, it was made with lots of "organic" asparagus, and the rest all made for an excellent combination in the frittata. I asked the waiter what they did with the rest of the artichoke, but he really didn't know.

All of their egg dishes and omelettes are served with a choice of potato-carrot pancakes (with apple compote & sour cream), grilled polenta, or fresh fruit. I chose the potato-carrot pancakes, as I have eaten here many times in the past and knew them to be good. I didn't think they provided enough of the apple compote for both pancakes, but this was no big deal, as their raspberry jam was excellent and better than the compote and went great with the pancakes.




They only offer Regular and Jalapeño Tabasco®. I used a little of the Jalapeño Tabasco® on the frittata, the potato-carrot pancakes did not need any spicing up.

This is really a good place for breakfast with their menu choices and their fresh-baked goods. If it were easier to get to from where I live, I would probably go there more often. I used to work just a few blocks away and would sometimes go there before starting work. As it is, I do like to go there and make an entire day of it when I go to Giants games.

Today's game was the final of the Intra-League series between the Giants and the Oakland AAA's: Giants 6, AAA's 2; WP Matt Cain ~ which made for a Sweep of the Bay Bridge Series. I think it is interesting to note that Matt Cain got the win exactly one year ago (Sunday June 14th) vs the AAA's, too: 7-1. Not that I was very hungry after the big breakfast, but it is not a Baseball game without eating junk of some sort. The foodstuff that I had at the game: a veggie dog with the works ~ spicy brown mustard, ketchup, relish, chopped onions, sauerkraut, and a little Chipotle Tabasco® sauce; an order of Gilroy garlic fries; and an Anchor Steam® Beer.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Frittata ~ 7.4; Raspberry jam ~ 7.3; Potato-carrot pancakes ~ 7.2; Mini baked goods ~ 7.0; Garlic fries ~ 7.0; Anchor Steam® Beer~ 7.0

1 comment:

  1. Looking at the San Francisco Giants/Matt Cain reference near the end of the 'blog-entry, this is a very interesting fact:

    On Wednesday, June 13th, 2012, Matt Cain was also the Pitcher of note on the game that I attended on my birthday (the opponent was the Houston Astros, not the Oakland AAA's, though). Not only did Matt Cain get the "W" again, but he had a pretty decent go of it, too.

    That is three games that he has pitched on (or around) my birthday in the past few years (the Giants had June 13th, 2011 off as a travel day) that the Giants got the Win. I am thinking someone at the Giants Front Office really needs to comp me tickets to any game that Matt pitches in the future during the middle week of June.

    ReplyDelete