Sunday, November 7, 2010

Boogaloos

Eat this mess around… (sorry, no Shy Tuna on the menu, I checked)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8hV4AyNss



I revisited Boogalos in the Mission (see April 25th, 2010 entry) this morning. Boogaloos is one of the places in my Starting Rotation of breakfast eateries. There are many great vegetarian breakfasts from which to choose on their menu: e.g. Boogaloo Classic (2 eggs any style, homefries and a biscuit smothered in vegetarian herb-cream gravy, topped with green onions), Polenta-n-eggs (Grilled polenta and salsa ranchero served with 2 eggs any style, black beans, sour cream and cabbage salad), or the "Make It Funky" Scram (2 eggs scrambled with your favorite ingredients from The Kitchen Cupboard: http://www.boogaloossf.com/cupboard.html ). My corner seat provided me with a nice view of an egg-lectic Rooster/Chicken tableau (see below) while waiting for my meal and listening to a little Patsy Cline playing on the house stereo ("Crazy", etc.).

http://www.boogaloossf.com/





I had one of my favourites of theirs, Desayuno Típico (which is Spanish for "Typical Breakfast"; however, there really is nothing típico about this meal unless you happen to be un habanero*) ~ 2 eggs any style (my style: over-medium), grilled plantain cake topped with tamarind** sour cream, served with black beans and corn tortillas. The plantain cakes are excellent all by themselves, but served with the tamarind sour cream this is really a special meal; and all go very well paired with los frijoles negros.

I also ordered a side o' homefries (just because there was not enough carbohydrates already coming) and a large grapefruit juice. (Don't let the picture fool you, their side order of homefries is usually HUGE; I just asked them to go light on me, as I knew it would be way too much food as it was.) The house coffee is Peerless Coffee & Tea®; it is usually very good and strong, and tastes great all by itself, but I added some maple syrup to it (this has become a tradición of mine whenever I eat there). It's just nice that they have maple syrup on the tables; as it was already there, I used some.





There is only Tapatío® available on the tables, so I went with some of my own Cholula® on the homefries and some Chipotle-Habanero salsa on the eggs.

Gracias por el desayuno delicioso, Fidel!


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Desayuno Típico ~ 7.4; Homefries ~ 6.9; Peerless Coffee ~ 6.5


*(Stupid cunning linguist pointer of the day:

 
"Habanero/habanera" is the Spanish word for a person from the capital city of Cuba. The fiery hot chili pepper gets its name from the same root word; it was actually native to the Yucatan peninsula, but was traded through Habana/Havana apparently and the name stuck ~ kinda like "tangerine" through Tangier, Morocco.

 
I did find something out today ~ Isn't the Intro-Net wonderful? You look for things and can find them. ~ the correct spelling is "habanero", not "habañero" as I had always thought. This is due to something called hyperforeignism. From Wikipedia: "A hyperforeignism is a special type of hypercorrection resulting from an unsuccessful attempt to apply the rules of a foreign language to a loan word (for example, the application of the rules to a word borrowed from another), or occasionally to a native English word believed to be a loan word. The result may be 'absurd,' reflecting 'neither the… rules of English nor those of the language from which the word in question comes.' For example, habanero is sometimes spelled with a tilde (habañero), which is incorrect in the Spanish from which the word comes, and this error is perhaps influenced by the correct spelling of another Spanish-named pepper, jalapeño."

 
Since finding this out, I will be careful to spell it correctly in the future… but there is ño way I am goiñg back añd correctiñg it iñ all my past posts here, that would just be ñuts.)

 
**(For those of you unfamiliar with tamarinds, it is an ugly little fruit, but very tasty:

 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarind )

No comments:

Post a Comment