Friday, November 26, 2010

yiassoo… gesundheit!

Cupertino, CA 



http://www.yiassoo.com/




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgndyMfe-8


On my way home from Gilroy this afternoon, I still had Greek food on my mind so I stopped for lunch at yiassoo (or "γειά σου" in Greek, which simply means "Howdy!"), the one located in Cupertino*. Not only is this place ABSOLUTELY THE BEST fast food restaurant in the Bay Area, it is one of the better Greek restaurants here, too. This place has an authentic Γλυφάδα ταβέρνα feel to it; the only thing missing is a bunch of stray cats wandering around the place.

I have eaten there many times in the past (as opposed to eating there many times in the future?) and have tried just about all of the vegetarian dishes that they offer. Today I just ordered the same meal that I must have ordered a thousand times over in my 3½ years living in Greece:
χωριάτικη σαλάτα, πατάτες, και τζατζίκι με πίτα.

The Greek Salad is very simple and made with tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, onions, green bell peppers, and Feta; all were very chunky, as a true
χωριάτικη σαλάτα should be, and, I am happy to state, there was NO lettuce in it, ευχαριστώ πολύ. The salad comes with no dressing on it, just some dried herbs. You can add your own vinegar and olive oil to taste, or they provide a bottle of their own special homemade creamy Greek dressing to put on it. I used a little of their dressing on part of the salad, but went with the vinegar and olive oil on the rest of it.

The French fries are nice and large ~ not the wimpy shoestring version served at most crummy fast food places (you know who you are, Ronald), but they were not the steak fries variety either; however, they were still sufficient enough to dip into their most excellent:

Τζατζίκι! Served with authentic Greek pita bread (this was just like the kind found at o'Μάκης place, not the poor imitation you can find at most grocery stores in the States); and the τζατζίκι was made with shredded cucumbers, not diced or chopped cucumbers, just the way I like it.




It was all way too much food for me to eat as I was still pretty full from breakfast, so I ended up taking most of it home with me… however, I will not be sharing it with any spoiled dogs.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Όλα καλά** ~ 6.5


*(Cupertino is a small city just northwest of San Jose in Silicon Valley. Cupertino is best know as the home of Apple, Inc., the computer people, not the fruit guys. To most people from San Francisco, anything south of Mountain View and north of Morgan Hill is generally considered "San Jose", it's just easier that way.)

 
**(Another entirely stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer:

 
This is just Greeky for "Everything is good!". The Greeks also claim that "O.K." comes from this phrase. Maybe, maybe not. I always thought it came from Tombstone, AZ.)

No comments:

Post a Comment