Saturday, November 27, 2010

Q

… R(es)ST(a)U(rant), VWX. Y? Z!



http://www.qrestaurant.com/


Breakfast by the numbers at Q Restaurant and Wine Bar?

I went back to Q Restaurant and Wine Bar on Clement Street (see the July 31st, 2010 entry) and again was not disappointed. It was another rainy Saturday morning in sunny San Francisco, so it was the perfect weather to stay inside and eat a nice breakfast. I got to sit at my favourite table, the one with the "Wooly Willy"*. However, there was not a magnet to be found to make any tonsorial changes; this was a little disappointing, but the good food and fast, friendly service more than made up for it.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBukDar6vE

There were some nice weekend Brunch Specials (I am sure the Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict was very similar to the most excellent Chayote Benedict that I had a few months ago, it's just not as fun to say), but I went with an omelette off their regular menu ~ Bacon (skipped it, Glen) with Red Onion Marmalade and Blue Cheese (served with home fries and buttered toast). This made for a very nice combination with just the sweet onion relish (as best as I can tell, made with caramelized red onions and some kind of barbecue sauce?) and the tangy Blue cheese.



For a change I found a restaurant that does not even offer any Tabasco® sauce, but they do have Tapatío®, Castillo® Salsa Habanero, and Original "Louisiana" Brand available, which is a pretty decent and varied selection. It really didn't matter much, as I went with some from my own collection: I made a combination of both a little HP® (original Brown) Sauce and some Trees Can't Dance ~ Belizean Habanero Sauce (Thanks once again, Greg & Cindy!). I did not see fit to put any of the HP® (original Brown) Sauce in my coffee, though, Mr. Farrell.**

I also like that a Tootsie Roll®*** Midgee® comes with the check in place of a peppermint hard candy. That is always fun.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Omelette ~ 6.8


*(I have often been told I have a "magnetic personality" myself. I just happen to have the reverse polarity of everyone else.

http://www.smethporthistory.org/smethportspeciality/wollypage.htm

I like the name of some of Willy's aliases: "Harry the Hermit" and "Dick the Dude"... Isn't that a local watering hole in the Castro?)

**(You will need to see the 2003 movie "Intermission" starring Colin Farrell to get this reference:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332658/

It's well worth the viewing.)

***(Tootsie Rolls® are named after Clara Hirshfield,
whose nickname was "Tootsie". Clara was the daughter of the original maker of these candies, Leo Hirshfield.

http://www.tootsie.com/

They have nothing to do with the 1982 Dustin Hoffman movie, but that movie is worth seeing again, too.)

2 comments:

  1. I really need to stop reading your blog in the morning because I end up drooling on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny:

    I have the perfect antidote for that. Read today's post and then read the Urban Dictionary definition #3 for "squat and gobble"... you won't want to eat for a week, if ever again.

    ReplyDelete