Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sears Fine Food

Since 1938 (well, with a short hiatus in the early 2000's)



http://www.searsfinefood.com/


Sears Fine Food (and it is interesting to note that they use the word "Food", not "Foods", in their name; both are acceptable, but more places would normally go with the pluralization) as their logo/emblem states is "World Famous Since 1938"; I guess prior to that the San Francisco Tourist Industry must not really have been in full tilt yet. Sears Fine Food is only ½-block uphill from Union Square and right along the Powell Street Cable Car line and in the heart of the hotel district, hence its popularity with all the touristas. I am sure that many locals know about it, but its location downtown (and lack of affordable parking) would preclude many "natives" going there more than once every ten years or so, or just on special occasions. I actually lucked out (it was still pretty early on a Sunday morning and during the tourista off-season) and found a parking spot just one block uphill.

This was my first ever (as opposed to one's "second ever"?) visit here. I had been meaning to get there for many years now, but, like I said, parking, special occasions, etc. I am glad I finally got to eat here, now I won't have to worry about revisiting it for another 10-20 years. The building and its décor were actually worth the visit. I am not sure when the building was built, but Sears Fine Food has been at this location since 1964 (it moved down the block from its original spot on Powell Street). They have many old San Francisco photos inside and some cool antiques. This old Kazoo* range was being used as a sideboard and coffee pot warmer holder.




They offer many good choices on their breakfast menu, but I had to try The World Famous 18 Swedish Pancakes ~ served with Warm Syrup and Country Fresh Whipped Butter (like I could really tell the difference if the butter was from the City or what its sexual proclivities were) and lingonberries (for a small additional charge, but it was well worth it). I figured I had waited this long to try the pancakes, I should actually order them.

The pancakes were good, but the addition of the lingonberries made this breakfast so much better. The flavour of lingonberries is very similar to cranberries, a little tart and a little sweet and goes very well as a topping with little pancakes. At first, I thought that 18 pancakes would be way too many to eat, but they were of the "Silver Dollar" variety (which are about 3" in diameter, not the size of actual Silver Dollars) and I had no problem finishing mine. I probably could have used a little more of the lingonberries, though.




I had a cup of their house coffee with the meal. It was black and hot. That is about the best thing I can say about it; it was no better, nor worse, than most diner coffee.

At the end of the meal they give you a souvenir coin (about the size of a real Silver Dollar, so a lot smaller than the pancakes) which you can use at an antique slot machine, located near the front counter, to see if you will win a free meal. I kept mine as a souvenir; I suppose I can always use it the next time I eat there… in 2020 or 2030.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: The World Famous 18 Swedish Pancakes ~ 6.5 (I would have preferred The World Famous 18 Swedish Vestal Virgins, though ~ next lifetime)


*(And yes, as best as I can figure with a quick Intro-Net search, this is a stove manufactured by the same company that still makes the musical instrument:


"The plant opened in 1907 as a sheet metal workshop, producing stove and furnace parts and peanut vending machines. It began making kazoos in 1916 after its owner was approached about creating a metal version of the wooden instrument that had been around since the 1840s.")

No comments:

Post a Comment