Saturday, April 9, 2011

Baker Street Bistro

"Elementary, my dear Ratatouille."


http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/


I really can't think of a better way to start the weekend: the Boston Red Sox Home Opener Win (plus, they beat the D*mn Y*nkees, so that is a Double-Win) yesterday morning; the San Francisco Giants Home Opener/2010 World Championship Flag Celebration Win (in a grueling 12-Inning battle) yesterday afternoon; dinner in North Beach at Caffè Macaroni ~ Sciuè Sciuè* last night; and breakfast al fresco (as opposed to dinner Al Rosa*) at Baker Street Bistro.

This was my second trip to Baker Street Bistro this year (see last 'blog-entry from January 22nd, 2011). Once again, I sat outside in the sun in their sidewalk patio area; it started out a little cool, but by the end of the meal it was clearly time to 86** the coat.

As I had their most excellent Pain Perdu on my last visit there, I went with their 2nd best dish Oeufs Baker Street again (see 'blog-entry from September 25th, 2010). This dish in itself would be reason enough to go back to Baker Street Bistro even if they didn't have one of the best Pain Perdu in the U.S. of A. It is basically an Eggs Benedict-style dish with ratatouille (zucchini, ?eggplant?, green and red bell peppers) under the poached eggs (instead of Canadian Bacon) and a tomato-based sauce (instead of the standard Hollandaise sauce). This is still as good as it ever was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-io-kZKl_BI ***

It is served with home fries and mixed greens. I never really understood this whole "salad for breakfast" thing. I mostly skipped the greens and focused on the good stuff.




For condimentary supplementation I used some Roland® Piri Piri with Lemon on the potatoes, the tomato sauce on the eggs/ratatouille was pretty tasty on its own.

I had parked over by the Lombard Gate of the Presidio and saw several of the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 10-12 flying overhead ~ near their roosting area in the tall eucalyptus trees.

http://www.wildparrotsbook.com/parrot_pages/wildparrots.html


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Oeufs Baker Street ~ 7.5; Caffè Macaroni - Sciuè Sciuè ~ 7.2


*(I had dinner last night with an old Air Force buddy of mine that I hadn't seen in over twenty years. Al Rose and I were stationed together in Athens, Greece from 1979 to 1981. He was in town with his two teenagers, Andrea and Nick, on their Spring Break from school in the Seattle area. We ate at this great Ristorante Napoletano in North Beach.

http://www.caffemacaroni.com/sciue.shtml

Unfortunately, I have no stupid cunning linguist pointer as to what "Sciuè Scuiè" means. I did a few searches, but came up vuoto.

And afterward, for dolce, we headed over to Caffè Puccini for some cannoli and tiramisu.)

**(Stupid cunning linguist/etymological pointer of the day:

By "86", I don't mean the atomic number of Radon. The term "to 86" something simply means "to get rid of" something or "refuse service to" someone. There really is no clear definition of the term's history, but it may just be an Americana rhyming slang for "nix" dating back to the 20's or 30's.)

***(I was debating on whether to use the original video for "Once In A Lifetime", but decided on this live version from Stop Making Sense. You may ask yourself "Am I right, am I wrong?"… well, my 'blog, my rules… "My God, what have I done?!")

No comments:

Post a Comment