Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eats

Abraham Stoker has been trying to contact me all morning…*


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY

Eat at Eats (see last 'blog-entry from January 8, 2011), Bela?


I went back to Eats, in the Richmond (at the beginning of Clement Street), for breakfast this morning. They have new menus, which have incorporated a lot of the more popular dishes from their SpEcIaLs board, but they still do not have a company web-site. So, I guess it is just me and Yelp! that you can trust to tout this great little place.

I am happy to see that their newest menu now includes the breakfast that I had on my last visit there, Spinach & Roasted Mushroom Benedict (Good job, Shelly!). Another interesting choice was the Caprese Scramble ~ Heirloom tomatoes, pesto, fresh Mozzarella, and Parmesan (next time?). However, I decided on the
Farmer's Scrambled Eggs ~ Kale**, mushrooms, leeks, green beans, Goat cheese, and parsley; which comes with their most Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes and toast (I chose multi-grain toast ~ for optimum garlic absorption). I also had a Power C smoothie ~ grapefruit, orange, and pineapple; and a cuppa Equator coffee (I didn't think to ask what blend/roast it was; it was good and strong, and after 10-15 cloves of garlic, would it really have mattered?).

http://www.equatorcoffees.com/





The scramble was excellent with lots of fresh (sautéed) kale in it (this is not a normal ingredient in most scrambles and was the main reason I chose this today) and lots of shiitake (as in mushrooms; sorry, Skip!). I think the only thing that might have made this even better would have been asparagus instead of the green beans; however, that would probably have unfairly relegated the kale to co-star status.

Now, I don't want to go on and on and on about their most Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes (Diane, these would be considered the "home fried" variety, not of the "hash brown" ilk), as I had already sung that paean in my first visit there that they started offering these with whole roasted garlic cloves in the dish (see 'blog-entry from November 13th, 2010). And I wouldn't want to dedicate another whole paragraph to just potatoes and garlic… well, I guess I already have (besides that should really have a separate 'blog-entry all on its own). One of the servers (Thanks, Kent!) remembered me from my last visit and had the cooks put even MORE garlic gloves in it for me; there had to have been at least 20+ cloves in with the potatoes (I honestly think there was more garlic than potatoes); it wasn't as if they had ever skimped on the amount of garlic in the past.

The Power C was very good, too. I am not a big fan of canned pineapple juice, as I always find it too sweet (but love fresh pineapples and even the canned ones), but this seemed to have just the right balance of (fresh) pineapples, grapefruit, and orange juices.

Their condimentary supplementation includes Tabasco® (standard red), Cholula®, and Tapatío®, which is a pretty decent selection. However, I went with some Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Amy!) on the potatoes and some Trees Can't Dance ~ Belizean Habanero Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the scramble. They also have fresh pepper grinders on every table, but, in my excitement over "buttering" my toast with the roasted garlic, I completely forgot to use any on the meal.

All in all, this was a great breakfast repast. This was a very good idea to bump this place up in my rotation. I really don't know what I would do if they ever dropped the roasted garlic from their potato dish. (Can you say "Hello, AAA!"?)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Farmer's Scrambled Eggs ~ 7.0; Power C ~ 6.8; E
xcellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.5


*(Why is it that Vampiri hate garlic so much? I am sure it would greatly improve their undead halitosis.)


**(Iron-ically, kale is in the same vegetable family as "the vile weed", but it is one of my favourite leafy greens. It is not normally a green with which most 'mericans are familiar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale 


I especially like it in soups and in the Irish dish "colcannon" ~ which is another potato-based dish!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colcannon


If we can't "borrow" information from Wikipedia once in a while, why are we paying so much for the Intro-Net?)

No comments:

Post a Comment