Saturday, April 16, 2011

Q

… because Eggs Whistle Stop Cafe Benedict was just too long and confusing, Fannie.


http://www.qrestaurant.com/



I went back to Q Restaurant for breakfast this morning (see last 'blog-entry from January 15th, 2011). They just happen to be a block up the street from Eats (see last weekend 'blog-entry). I sat at one of their cool artsy tables, the one with the scary arachnoid tableau*, Mr. Parker.





Damn kids! You think you can go out to eat and enjoy a nice breakfast without having to see any of their stupid taggings. There was this graffito on the wall above me:


Apparently, Mr. Guy Fieri** has eaten at Q before. It was featured on one of his programs: Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. However, he never once mentioned the Glen Bacon Scale Rating, though, so take it for what it is (just a local pseudo-celebrity idiot's opinion).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylGMj89mPTk


Q has several good things for breakfast on their standard menu, but their weekend specials always has great things from which to choose (à la Dottie's TRUE BLUE CAFE). I went with the Fried Green Tomato Benedict ~ Poached eggs, bacon (no thanks, I left that for Guy to eat), and avocado on fried green tomatoes with Hollandaise, and homefries. I had seen this a few times in the past on their specials menu and figured they'd have it again sometime.





I am happy to say that it was another good choice. This was very similar, but not quite as good, as the Chayote Benedict I had last Summer there (see 'blog-entry from July 31st, 2010 for my ravings on that one). However, unlike the Chayote Benedict, the slices of fried green tomatoes were just about the right thickness to hold the eggs; about the thickness of a standard English muffin. Plus, it came with an extra slice of fried green tomato, which is always nice!

There is one sad note to relate, the Martha & Bros® coffee shop that used to be on the corner of 3rd and Clement is now closed. I was planning on getting a good cuppa their house blend before heading over to Q. Well, there is still a coffee shop there, but it now looks to be an independently owned store. They have painted over the lettering on the awnings with purple paint, but it's not exactly the same shade as the awning and it just looks like darker lettering on a lighter shade of purple now. Because of which, I ordered a cuppa coffee with my meal at Q.

The condimentary supplements that Q offers are actually pretty good: Tapatío®; Castillo® Salsa Habanera (extra hot); and "Louisiana" Brand ~ The Perfect Hot Sauce (their claim, not mine). However, I still went with some Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks again, Amy!) on the eggs and some HP® Brown Sauce on the potatoes (and a little in my coffee***, too).

I like their tradition of bringing candy with the check instead of plain, boring ol' mints; today there was a Fruit Punch Frooties® (from the Tootsie® people, Dustin).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe Benedict~ 7.4


*(Stupid useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:


The word "tableau" is simply the diminutive of "table" in French. I am not quite sure what "table" means in French, though.)


**(Apparently, Guy Fieri is the "new face of the Food Network". I mean, c'mon, this culinary tool has shilled for T.G.I. Friday's, fercryin'outloud~ everyone knows that you can get "fine
kwiseen" there: "Would you like a side order of deep fried crap with your deep fried crap entrée?"

Sorry, but I preferred the "old faces" of Giada De Laurentiis, Rachael Ray, or Sandra Lee… well, in Giada's case, I hardly ever look just at her "face". )

***(There was a 2003 Irish black comedy/crime film called Intermission which starred Colin Farrell and Cillian Murphy. One of the back stories was that Cillian had stolen many cases of brown sauce from the warehouse he worked at, but can't find anybody willing to buy them from him; so he has taken to use it in his coffee to get rid of the stuff. To quote Colin Farrell "It's not fookin' bad…"


And, no, it really didn't work for me; maybe I used too much, or too little. I will try anything once. This really wasn't as 'orrible as you would have thought, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment