Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Bistro (Restaurant) @ Cliff House

Goodnight, Geary Blvd… good morning, Popovers(!)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLKpkDY0S4



http://cliffhouse.com/bistro/lunch.html


Once again I headed westward, Ho(race) and ate at the Bistro (Restaurant) @ Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from June 13th, 2011 ~ I like that date). Much like Dottie's True blue café and Baker Street Bistro, I have eaten at this place so many times that I am running out of photos to use as an opener. Today, however, I happened to look up and noticed that their light fixtures (chandeliers even) have a compass design on them, and they are actually pointed in the correct direction. So, there's that.

It was a pretty gloomy/foggy morning at Ocean Beach today. (Fog in San Francisco? Who ever heard of such a silly thing?) I did see several pelicans[1] flying in formation outside past the windows and a few surfers braving Ocean Beach.

Today's wall of autographed[2] Hollywoodland stars (and others) photos:



(Picture 1, top to bottom)

???; ???
??? (my most trusty server, Chris, thought that this might be Walter Pidgeon, but I am not sure that is correct); ???
Irene Dunn/Dunne; ?Irving? ?Sinclair? (that is what the signature looks like, but I have no idea who that is)
Neil Sedaka (hence the "and others"); (a very youngish) Marion Robert Morrison (Ha! This guy has a girl's first name, Kerry.)



(Picture 2, top to bottom)

Spencer Tracy; (Marga)Rita (Carmen Cansino) Hayworth
(you got some 'splainin' to do) Lucille Esmeralda McGillicuddy; Leo Carillo ("Ohhh, Ceesco!")[3]
Tommy & Dick Smothers; Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler ~ better known as Harvey Korman (my faithful server, Chris, correctly identified this one for me; I don't think I have really ever seen a Hedy Lamarr movie)

I am throwing this out there once again: anyone that can fill in any of the ??? with the correct names will be treated to all the Popovers(!) you can eat… my treat, or maybe even a breakfast at Dottie's True blue café.

I once again had the Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs, Ham (substituted this for 'shrooms; thanks, Chris, for the suggestion), Potatoes, Green Onions, & Cheddar Cheese with Grilled Sourdough Crostini; with a side of fresh fruits. I also had a cuppa very good coffee today (their coffee is generally pretty good, but today's brew was even better than normal) and, of course, their most excellent Popovers(!) ~ two before/with the meal and two to take home with (¡Muchas gracias, Israel! I happened to mention to one of the servers that I really like the Popovers(!) and he forced me to take an additional two home with me; for which, I was sure to "reverse complain" to the Maître d'-lâdy at the entrance).



I like this scrambled mess as it already incorporates the potatoes in the dish; however, I was still tempted to order a side order of sautéed red potatoes ~ you can never have enough carbohydrates. Today's side of Fall fresh fruits (mostly the same as the Summer fresh fruits): cantaloupe, watermelon, honey dew, grapes, and strawberry.

For condimentary supplementation, I used some HP® (Brown) Sauce and Trees Can't Dance ~ African Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg and Cindy!); a little Brown Sauce on some of the more exposed potatoes and some of the African Hot Sauce on the rest of the mess.

Right behind the Cliff House, overlooking the ocean, is Camera Obscura and Holograph Gallery[4]. I have never been inside, but always liked how the building was shaped like a large box camera. Sorry, Jean Luc, these guys beat the Enterprise to the idea by many years.




As I have eaten here many, many times, what more can be said about this place? Yada, yada, yada… Popovers(!).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ 6.8; Today's crummy ocean view ~ 5.5; Popovers(!) ~ 8.2


[1] Stupid, completely random cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Pelican" comes from the Greek word
"πελεκυς" (pronounced "pelekys") which means "axe", probably referring to the bird's large axe-shaped beak.

If you don't believe me, just ask Dr. Doolittle, he can corroborate my story… like hell-'e-can!

[2] Secondarily stupid, completely random cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Autograph" comes from the Greek word "
αυτόγραφο" (avtographo); "αὐτός" meaning "car" and "γράφω" meaning "to drive haphazardly down the road" (and normally on the wrong side of the street) ~ hence the connection to Hollywoodland Blvd. and Wine.

I don't make this stuff up... well, much.

[3] Extra added EweToob-y link just for "sheets and greens":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllP22mVZQg

[4] Additional Camera Obscura information (unbeknownst to them) courtesy of the friendly folk at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Obscura_%28San_Francisco,_California%29

No comments:

Post a Comment