Saturday, December 31, 2011

Zazie

Breakfast from A-to-Z in 2011[1]


http://www.zaziesf.com/zazie/home.html


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

(Wow! Who knew that Giovanni Ribisi kid could sing so well?
Happy New Year, all! Or even "Bonne Nouvelle Année!")


I had my petit-déjeuner again at Zazie (see last 'blog-entry from September 11th, 2010), over in the Haight/Cole Valley. I even got the primo parking spot right in front of the restaurant. Comment dites-vous "al fresco" en français? I sat outside in the backyard patio as the Sun was out and shining, but they had those tall gas overhead heaters on anyway. It got so warm that I had to take off my coat after a few minutes to compensate and it was just comfortable enough to leave it off during the entire meal.

Zazie offers many good pancakes (Gingerbread with bosc pears really sounded good) and egg dishes (several scrambles and poached choices) from which to chose, but I wanted to bookend last week's
Pain Perdu with another version of French Toast as a comparison. So I had their French Toast Tahiti ~ Pinkie's challah[2] (with orange-cinnamon batter) stuffed with caramelized bananas and walnuts with a side order of home fries, and to drink a Citron Presse (fresh squeezed lemon juice with simple syrup) and a strong cuppa coffee.




The French Toast came with two very large and very thick slices of bread ~ stuffed with lots of bananas and walnuts, etc. (I am just not so sure where you can find walnuts in Tahiti, Monsieur Gauguin). They offer this as one, two, or three pieces. I just barely finished the two slice version and probably could have gone with one slice and have been sufficiently sated. The home fries came with nine (9! Neuf!) whole cloves of roasted garlic (à la mode Eats), and I made sure to eat each and every one. You get to mix the Citron Presse on your own, adding as much or as little simple syrup as you like with the bottle of water that is on each table.

Zazie only has Tabasco® as condimentary supplementation, but I came prepared with a few of my own and used some Cherry Republic KaBOB's Kick'en Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Cindy and Greg!) and some Oaxacan Hot Sauce (Thanks, me!) on the potatoes.

The French Toast was very good and worth coming back for on its own; however, I am sure I will go back to try some of their other egg and what-not items in the future.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: French Toast Tahiti ~ 7.2


[1] It probably would have been a more apt title if I actually had my first breakfast of 2011 at Americana Grill, Art's Café, or Ashley's Breakfast Shoppes, even.

Additionally this year, I did eat at Baker Street Bistro, Bettys Café Tea Rooms, Boogaloos, Chilayo, Chloe's, Chow (on Church Street)… and, of course, Dottie's True blue café. And, just to let you know, I even ate at a Q restaurant (see last 'blog-entry from September 5th, 2011) this year to fill out one of the harder letters to eat at. I am pretty sure there were no "X" or "Y" ones on my 2011 list, though.


[2] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

"Challah" (pronounced "hallah" or "khallah" with a guttural "h/kh" sound as if you're clearing your throat, not as "CHallah" with a "ch" as in "church", Charlie) is simply Hebrew for "loaf of bread".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challah

No comments:

Post a Comment