Saturday, March 31, 2012

Seal Rock Inn Restaurant


Survival of the craziest?



http://www.sealrockinn.com/restaurant.html


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fc67yQsPqQ&ob=av2e

(I am not really that big of a fan of Seal, but he does have one very hot wife… and don't blame me, I thought this was gonna be a Patsy Cline EweToob video.)


It was a little too gloomy and rainy this morning to venture any place further away for breakfast, so I simply went with an old nearby fall-back, Seal Rock Inn Restaurant (see last 'blog-entry from February 12th, 2011) in the Richmond District, almost all the way to Ocean Beach (I was actually headed to the Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House, but this place comes up first on my way and I was hungry). The enclosed "outdoor" patio area is covered by a canvas roof (it is a permanent one, not retractable) and you could hear the rain pattering away while eating. I never really gave it much thought, but there is an actual hotel/"Inn" involved with the restaurant (hence the name "Seal Rock Inn" Restaurant, nu?[1]), as witnessed by a full house of touristas/inn-dwellers there this morning.

Seal Rock Inn Restaurant (Does anyone else think that name is a tad bit long? From here on out, I will just refer to them as SRIR.) is particularly known for its "International Omelettes". I usually just get their Greek Omelette #1 or #2, which happen to be very good and two of my favourites of theirs; however, I noticed a new one on the menu since my last visit: Sophia's Omelette ~ Feta cheese, olives (black), onions (white), tomatoes (red), and spinach (green); served with hash brown (Okay, score another one for der FührGates and his spell-checker Nazis. SRIR has this as two separate words on their menu, but strangely enough, they have brown as a singular word. Wonder what Billy-boy and his Braunhemden would have to say about that.), toast (chose sourdough again) and jelly. I also had a cuppa house coffee.





I am calling this their "Greek Omelette #3". This was a very good omelette. It was made with lots of Feta and spinach (which was in the egg portion of the omelette, not inside with the other ingredients); however, they also only use the sliced, canned black olives (see last week's 'blog-entry) ~ this would be a huge winner if it had real Kalamata olives in it (and, as stated in the past, the owners are actually Greek, so I don't know why they don't).

For condimentary supplementation, SRIR only offers Tabasco®. One last time, I used (up) some Sylvia's Restaurant® Kickin' Hot Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Sean! That is one dead soldier now.[2]) on the hash brown (there really was more than one, though) and some Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Amys!) on the omelette. 





I asked my server who "Sophia" is, and was told that she is the owner's newest daughter-in-law. This was a very good omelette choice, Stingo.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Sophia's Omelette ~ 6.6


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

 
"Nu" (ну
) simply means "well"/"well now" in Russkij.

For some clarification, according to Leo Rosten's "The Joys of Yiddish":

 
"Pronounced noo, to rhyme with 'coo', but with various intonations and meanings…

 
'Nu' is a remarkably versatile interjection, interrogation, expletive.

 
Nu is the word most frequently used (aside from 'oy' and the articles) in speaking Yiddish. And with good reason: Nu is the verbal equivalent of a sigh, a frown, a grin, a grunt, a sneer. It is an expression of amusement or recognition or uncertainty or disapproval. It can be used fondly, acidly, tritely, belligerently.

 
Nu is a qualification, an emphasizer, an interrogation, a caster of doubt, an arrow of ire. It can convey pride, deliver scorn, demand response."

 
[2] It is highly unnecessary to send me a replacement, Sean. I still have about fifteen bottles of hot sauce to use in my refrigerator; this includes the stupid Blair's After Death that you gave me last year for my birthday and the utterly ridiculous "Son of Smart Arse" Sauce that Greg and Cindy gave me for Christmas last year, both of which I will probably not get a chance to use up this Millennium.

No comments:

Post a Comment