Sunday, April 8, 2012

Moulin (Vert?) Restaurant

Breakfast on Geary, Huitième Partie



(No official web-site)

887 Geary Street

Phonicular contact: (415) 928-0158


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOPmgkentZk

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZk

 
(You were expecting songs by José Ferrer or Zsa Zsa Gabor, perhaps?)


This morning's breakfast was my last stop on Geary Street in my breakfastary series of restaurants on the street where I live; all of the subsequent restaurants will now be on Geary Boulevard (at Gough Street, Geary turns into a four-to-six-lane boulevard until it hits its finale at 48th Avenue). Today's breakfast was at Moulin[1] (Vert?) Restaurant (The Breakfast Cafe) ~ this is actually what their menus and signs state; however, for some reason, it is sans l’accent aigu. Now, I used the colour caveat "(Vert?)" in their name as they used to be called Moulin Rouge Restaurant, but for some reason have changed their name and excised all of the "Rouge" from their signs and menus; they have even repainted the windmill on the front of the building to green. I don't know why they had to change the name, but I suspect it was either the evil doings of Baz Luhrmann… or Visine®.

Moulin (Vert?) Restaurant is a little Korean Mom & Pop place ~ literally, Mom does all the cooking and Pop takes the orders, serves, clears, and washes the dishes. There are just ten tables for two and two tables for four (and with my quick math skills, that means there are less than thirty seats ~ give or take a couple seats). They really are mainly a "Breakfast Cafe", but do serve lunch and dinner, too. They have a pretty extensive breakfast menu ~ lots of omelettes, pancakes, French toasts, and such. I had the Garden Omelette ~ Avocado, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers (it doesn't state it on the menu, but this also comes with cheese if you like); served with hashbrown (Ha! They have it as only one word on their menu, der Gates-führer!) potatoes and toast. I also ordered a large glass of orange juice. I normally would have ordered a cuppa coffee to go with the meal, but on my way to the restaurant, I passed a new coffee shop and figured I would check them out afterward (more on that error in judgement later).





This was a huge three-egg omelette, chock full o' stuff; there must have been an entire avocado in it. Pop asked me what kind of cheese I would like in it, so I said Swiss cheese. (When in a French café kinda place owned by Koreans, why not?) My toast of choice was plain ol' sliced sourdough. Mom makes very good hashbrowns, crispy on both sides and still creamy on the inside. The meal came with an extra large sprig of parsley[2] ~ more like a small bush, actually; I ate most of it, too, as parsley is a natural breath-freshener, I think it has to do with the chlorophyll content or something.

As to be expected, Moulin (Vert?) Restaurant offers as condimentary supplements just Tabasco® (et simplement le rouge, Mr. Hucknall) and Tapatío®. I used up the last of my Benito's Original Naranja (Thanks, me!) on the hashbrowns and just four drops (and I truly mean just four tiny drops) of One Stop Hot Shop 'Smart Arse'® (Thanks a lot, Cindy!) on the omelette.

Minor Coffee Rant of the Day:

As stated before, I assumed that Moulin (Vert?) Restaurant would just have plain ol' diner-style coffee (black, hot dishwater) and figured that a new coffee joint that caters specifically to the art of coffee-making would be a much better bet, so I stopped by Jebena®[3] Coffee & Tea Co. on the way back to my car. They are only a block away from the restaurant, on the corner of Geary and Polk Streets.

You would think that a cuppa freshly-brewed (in the personal drip method) coffee would have to be better than any swill that I normally make at home, but you would be sorely mistaken. I can't understand how a professional joint would put out such a bland, tasteless offering. I have never had a cuppa the personal drips that was not rated at least a 6.5 on the Glen Bacon Scale. Perhaps it was just a bad roast/blend or the barista (What is the designator of this word to determine if the person is male or female? Baristo? Baristetta?) made it poorly, but it's all really a "mute" point (meaning "let's never speak of this again"), as I hardly ever frequent that neighborhood and probably won't be going again any time soon, anyway.

Rant over.





There is no relationship between the above wall mural and Moulin (Vert?) Restaurant (well, I don't think it was done by Monsieur Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec), I just saw it in an alley near where I had parked and thought it interesting.

Next up on Geary Boulevard: Lucky Penny Coffee Shop (revisited)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Garden Omelette ~ 5.8; Jebena® ~ 5.5


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, numéro un:


"Moulin" in French means "windmill" or "mill"; technically, I guess, a "windmill" would be "moulin à vent".


[2] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-horticultural/pseudo-culinary pointer of the day, νούμερο δύο
:

The word "parsley" is a merger of the Old English "petersilie" (which is identical to the contemporary German word for parsley: "Petersilie") and the Old French "peresil", both derived from Medieval Latin "petrosilium", from Latin "petroselinum" the latinization of the Greek "πετροσέλινον
" (petroselinon), "parsley", from "πέτρα" (petra), "rock, stone", and "σέλινον" (selinon), "celery".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQaD2CAi9A
 


I really hope that Parsley saved Rosemary in time…

[3] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinary pointer of the day, number three (try as I might, I could not find an on-line web translator that actually has Amharic as a choice of language, Haile Selassie would be very displeased):


A "jebena" is a container used to brew coffee in Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Eastern Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment