Saturday, July 28, 2012

Radish


What can you expect from a word that is found in the dictionary somewhere between "lousy" and "low"?






(In case you are wondering about today's musicality selections, they were playing solely Ol' Bloodshot Eyes songs on the house stereo the entire time while I was there this morning. The second EweToob song is my favourite Frankie song; I mean, not only does it perfectly explain "Love", but just how creepy is it that he is singing the duet with his daughter?)


Now I am neither a hipster doofus, nor a 1980's valley girl, but I went back to Radish (see 'blog-entry from October 30th, 2011) for breakfast this morning, all the same. They are a little, corner neighborhood place on 19th Street (between Valencia and Mission Streets). I suppose technically that this is in the Mission District, but the atmosphere (good food/bar, with just a little twist of attitude) and its proximity to the Castro have made me label this area as the Castration District. Radish has a great selection of Beers on tap (ten that I counted, but I didn't get a photo of the pulls to comment on the specific brands; from what I saw, I knew they looked good) and another good selection of twenty or so Beers available in bottles and cans.

Their breakfast menu (and they state it as just that, not "Brunch" on their menus) isn't really that extensive, but what they do offer is a decent enough selection. Plus, there are several interesting things offered on their weekend specials board.




I probably would have ordered the Migas Chile Relleno[1] ~ their own Migas stuffed inside a Poblano[2] chili, but I had their Migas as my meal there the last time and wanted to try something different. Now if I had seen this one before I had already ordered, I would have chosen it for sure: F.G.T. Benny ~ Eggs Benedict made with fried green tomatoes and ham (just the tomatoes were green, not the ham, Sam); I have had different versions of this before and have always liked it (without the dead, decaying porky-flesh, of course). As it were, I ordered the Greek Scramble ~ olives, mushrooms, spinach, and Feta; served with hash(browns) and choice of toast. I also had a glass of fresh Strawberry-Lemonade and a cuppa coffee. I also asked for a side of their fresh/home-made pickled jalapeños as I had them the last time and new that they were very good.





The scramble was served on a bed of baby spinach. I was expecting the spinach to be in the scramble mixture, but this worked nicely, too. It was made with green olives, not Kalamata olives. Now this was an interesting twist and it fooled ME, Jerry. I would have preferred Kalamata olives, but this was still very good; it was made with a brined, not vinegar-based, variety of green olives. They call their breakfast potatoes "hash", but these are actually a very decent, crispy-crunchy version of homefries. The sourdough toast was made from real sliced sourdough (which is better than the pre-sliced faux stuff), and it was very crispy and crunchy, too. Their house coffee is Mr. Espresso®, a good local roastery (and espresso machine manufacturer), and was very worthy of several cups being drank. The lemonade drink was good (with fresh mulled strawberries in it), but I didn't like it as much as the first time I had it; the lemonade base just seemed a little watered-down today.

http://mrespresso.com/


Radish offers as condimentary[3] supplementation just Cholula®. I used a brand new one from my collection (well, it was a gift at Christmas that I just opened now; Thanks, Cindy!) Serious food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero Hot Sauce on the scramble and a little Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple[4] Hot (Thanks, Kerry!) on the potatoes.


Love may stink, but Radish is very good.


Glen Bacon Scale RatingGreek Scramble ~ 6.5; Strawberry-Lemonade ~ 6.4


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinary punto del día, número uno:

 
"Relleno" is simply the Spanish word for "stuffed". Chile Rellenos are a Mexican dish made with roasted Poblano chilis stuffed with cheese, egg-battered, and then either pan fried or deep fried.

[2] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinary punto del día, número dos:

 
"Poblano" is the Spanish word for inhabitants of the State of Puebla, Mexico. The Poblano chili originated there.

 
[3] Not really a stupid, useless cunning linguist (or pseudo-culinary) pointer of the day, but just a grammatical pointer of the day:

 
For some time now, I had been using the term "condimentary" as what I thought was an original, made-up portmanteau word from "condiment" and "complimentary"; however, I recently discovered that it is an actual word and is just the adjectival form of "condiment". This won't alter the fact that I will still be using the term, it just takes away some of its panachery (which I am pretty sure is an original, made-up portmanteau word, Mr. Dodgson).

 
[4] I am not so sure as to the veracity of that nomenclature. Yes, it is extremely hot ~ it is made with both habanero chilis and naga jolokia chilis ~ however, most Triples in Fenway Park actually come from balls hit into the tricky corners of Centerfield and not off the Green Monstah, Wally. A seasoned, veteran Leftfielder can play balls off the Monstah and usually hold a batter to a Double or a Single… or in Manny Ramirez' case, just sit on the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment