Sunday, July 1, 2012

Stacks’




(I was going to include a EweToob link of a Dolly Parton song ~ see restaurant name for obvious connection ~ but really couldn't find one that I liked. She writes good songs, but I like the covers of her songs better than her original songs.)


For breakfast this morning I had intended on going to Flipper's Gourmet Burgers (on Hayes Street in Hayes Valley) as I thought that they opened up at 7:00am (just as it states on yelp* and several other on-line sources); however, they still weren't open at 7:30am when I arrived there, so I crossed the street and ate again at Stacks' (see 'blog-entry from October 23rd, 2010); luckily they open up at 7:00am just as they say they do. I will just have to go back to Flipper's another time (and after 8:00am apparently).

I really didn't feel like having pancakes (which, as the name implies, is Stacks' signature dish), but they offer many breakfastary choices: Belgian waffles, omelettes, scrambles, and other items. I decided on the Vegetarian Frittata (which they have mispelded as "Fritatta" on the menu) ~ Diced vegetables, salsa, sour cream & chives; served with potatoes and bagel. They describe a "Fritatta" as: "Three whipped eggs cooked open face, topped with cheddar-jack cheese." I also had a cuppa coffee (well, a thermos/pot… just like at IHOP Restaurant®… only made with really good coffee).




The diced vegetables that were included in the "fritatta" were zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and the vile weed. (If it seems like I am unjustly making fun of Stacks' for the Tori [that's a "Miss Spelling" to you in the know] of frittata, it is only because I am. Hey, they have just as much access to Bill Gates' Spell-Check Nazis as I do.) This was an okay "fritatta“, but they used wayyyyyy too much of the vile weed in this. Maybe if they had used less (or none at all) of the vile weed and substituted artichoke hearts instead, this would have been a real winner. I did like that it was served in a personal, mini-skillet.

In retrospect, I probably should have gotten the Ita
lian "Fritatta" ~ Spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, black olives, topped with marinara[1] sauce & mozzarella cheese (less the dead, decaying porky flesh, of course), but this is just made with black olives of the canned variety (I asked); there is no question that I would have chosen it if it had included Kalamata olives instead.

I really do like how they prepare their breakfast potatoes. They are roughly sliced/shredded, just not shoe-stringed like hashbrowns normally are. Hard to explain, but easy to enjoy.

The house coffee that they serve is just Peerless Coffee & Tea®, which they prepare very well.

Stacks' has as condimentary supplements Tabasco® (both the standard red and green Jalapeño) and the Pepper Plant® Original California Style Hot Pepper Sauce (which they don't have on the tables, but are available if you ask; I asked). I used some of the Pepper Plant® on the potatoes and some of my own Serious Food… Silly Prices Sweet Heat Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy!) on the "fritatta".

http://www.thepepperplant.com/


Maybe the next time I go back to Stacks', I will order "Beglian waflles" or "pankaces"…


Glen Bacon Scale RatingVegetarian "Fritatta" ~ 6.3 (this may have been a 6.5 with less of
the vile weed or without it entirely)


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer del giornio:

 
"Marinara" comes from Italian and literally means "in sailor's style"; this is the feminine of "marinaro" (meaning seafaring). See "marine", "marina", "Ed", etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment