Saturday, October 13, 2012

Home Plate

"Home… is where I want to be,
Pick me up and turn me 'round"




http://www.homeplatesf.com/ 

(That is supposed to be their official web-site; however, I couldn’t get it to work.)

2274 Lombard Street (between Steiner and Pierce Streets)

phonicular contact: (415) 922-4663





(There really is a lack of good Baseball-y songs available on EweToob, so this will have to do for today. And, yes, I am aware that the original Talking Heads version is much better ~ probably my favourite song of theirs, and definitely in my all time Top Ten Rock-and/or-Roll songs ~ but I am pretty sure that I have linked that particular version at least once or twice here already.)


It's that time of the year again, folks! You know the season: the autumnal colours are appearing and you can just feel the festiveness in the air… of course I am talking about the colours Orange-and-Black and Postseason Baseball! Go Giants! (Unfortunately for the Boston Red Sox this year, they thought that the "Postseason" started on September 1st.) So, in honour of the season, I went back to Home Plate (see last 'blog-entry from October 16th, 2011 ~ almost exactly a year ago now) in the Marina/Cow Hollow, right along Lombard Street. As their name implies, they have a Baseball-y theme going on their walls; I sat right under this Willie Mays plaque this morning.





(I have no idea who the other two idiots are in that song, but anyone talkin' Baseball knows without a doubt that Willie Mays is/was the Best Overall Baseball Player… evah! "Say hey!")


Home Plate has a very decent standard breakfast menu (especially in the way of omelettes and frittatas) and they offer several specials daily. I was thinking about getting either the Spanish Scramble or Angry Benedict (of course, without respectively the Cajun-style dead, decaying animal flesh jammed inside porcine intestines or the dead, decaying aquatic insects).




One of the really nice things about Home Plate is that everyone gets a complimentary home(plate) made mini-scone with two home(plate) made jams; this week it was mango and strawberry jams. Now, this might not sound like a lot, but their jams are always very good and the scones are usually still warm out of the oven.

I ended up ordering the Garden Omelette ~ avocado, onions (both white and green), bell peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, and Cheddar[1] cheese; and chose hashbrowns and sourdough toast. I also had a cuppa their house coffee (which I think is Thanksgiving Coffee Company). I really wish that I had ordered a glass of their fresh Watermelon Juice (which I didn't notice until after I had finished eating), too.





The omelette was stuffed (as was I after I was done eating) with lots of fresh veggies, especially of note avocado; you'd think that the way some restaurants skimp on this ingredient that we lived in Florida or something. I went with hashbrowns for a change, but their potato-carrot pancakes are really the best.

Home Plate has as condimentary supplementation both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) and Cholula® Hot Sauce. However, I went with some of my own BIG PAPI EN FUEGO HOT SAUCE Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry! I know that this is a Red Sox related product, but I don't know of any Barry Bonds hot sauces that are available legally over the counter.) on the hashbrowns and some Cherry Republic® KaBOB's Kick'en Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy!) on the omelette.

Guess that this must be the place… for breakfast. (And I am not being naïve about it at all.)

And did I mention…

GO GIANTS!!!

Glen Bacon Scale RatingGarden Omelette ~ 6.8; Freebie home(plate) made mini-scone and jams ~ 7.0; 2012 San Francisco Giants ~ 7.5; 2012 Boston Red Sox ~ 5.5 (ouch!)


[1] Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-fromagery pointer of the day:

For anyone that has never heard of Cheddar cheese before outside of Somerset, England, "Cheddar" is named after the village in England where it was originally made. The word comes from Old English "Ceodre" (circa 880), probably from "ceodor" (meaning "ravine"), as there is a nearby gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment