Saturday, November 24, 2012

Baker Street Bistro

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."
~ Oscar Wilde, "An Ideal Husband"





http://www.bakerstreetbistro.com/



(I would just like you to try and locate another good "Baker"-, "Street"-, or "Bistro"-themed EweToob video. This one with Peter Edward Baker[1] on drums will just have to suffice. Now if only the Pain Perdu included ginger[2] as one of des ingrédients secrets…)


Continuing my way through my Breakfastary Line-up before year's end, je suis retourné à Baker Street Bistro (see last 'blog-entry from August 18th, 2012). As it was a bright, sunny day, I sat outside once again on the sidewalk/patio café area, where there is seating for twenty-two people and at least 4-6 dogs (however, there were no other people or dogs this morning that joined me on the patio, so I had the entire area all to myself).

The Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude
I had parked over by the Presidio's Lombard Gate again and heard several of the fine-feathered pests, but didn't actually see any, either in the trees or flying around this morning.

As for breakfast, once again I ordered (Quelle surprise, Mme Terry!) Pain Perdu ~ A brunch favorite! ~ Two slices of cinnamon French Toast, fresh fruit, strawberry coulis & crème fraîche (this can be ordered as a half portion ~ one slice instead of two ~ but why would you ever do that?). I also had a side of home fries and a cuppa coffee.





I have stated this many, many times over: this is not only the best French Toast in San Francisco, it might just be the best French Toast in all off the U.S. of 'merica! And, quite possibly, the entire World!! It is unnecessary for me to review again the exquisiteness of how the French Toast is prepared or stress how the strawberry coulis/crème fraîche pairs expertly with the maple syrup on top. All you need to know is if you ever go there, just get ce petit déjeuner damnés!

Les fruits de la journée: pommes, ananas, oranges, raisins, pastèque, et cantaloup.

Baker Street Bistro a tout simplement des condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red). Knowing that, I used some of my own Serious Food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero Hot Sauce on the home fries. If anyone tries to mess with their perfect Pain Perdu, they will have me to answer to (and, yes, I know that grammatically correcturally this should be "they will have to answer to me" ~ so start your own damn 'blog if you are gonna be the Grammar Gestapo[3]).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Pain Perdu ~ 8.2


1. Apparently, this Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker person used to be some kinda drummer in a few Rock-and/or-Roll groups in the 60's and 70's. He simply obtained that sobriquet due to his red hair; however, there is no truth to the matter that he got the nickname just because the Skipper preferred him over Jack "Mary Ann" Bruce.

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer de la journée, numéro un:

"Ginger" comes from French "gingembre", from Old English "gingifere", from Medieval Latin "gingiber", from Latin "zinziberi", from Greek "
ζιγγίβερι", ultimately from Tamil "இஞ்சி வேர்" or Malayalam "ഇഞ്ചി വേര്" meaning "horn + body" due to the shape of its root.

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer des Tages, Nummer zwei:


"Gestapo" is the abbreviation of German "Geheime Staatspolizei", meaning "Secret State Police". 


This should never be confused with that other horrible Nazi organization the Political Police, "Politische Polizei" or "Popo" for short. Believe me, you would never want to be caught by them with any political infractions as they would ream you good!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm?! I don't know how this one escaped me without any fanfare, but this was my 300th Post on this stupid 'blog.

    I am pretty sure that I was aware of that fact ahead of time and specifically went to Baker Street Bistro due to that.

    ReplyDelete