Sunday, November 25, 2012

Morning Due Café




http://morningduecafe.net/





I wanted to check out a new place (or at least one at which I had never eaten before), due to which I went to Morning Due Café this morning. They are located on the Corner of 17th and Church Streets in the Castro (borderline Mission District, which is just a block away really), and right next door is Due Drop In, owned and operated by the same people. I am not sure where I had heard about them (probably off some "Best of San Francisco" list), but they are on a list of my own breakfast places to check out and I finally got around to eating there.

They open up pretty early (7:00am), but only for coffee, pastries, or bagels; the kitchen doesn't open until 8:00am for real food. As I had gotten there just a little after 7:00am, I had some time to kill, so I got a small cuppa coffee to go and walked around the neighborhood (I hardly ever get to the Castro and found another new place that I will need to check out one of these days). I came across yet another one of these San Francisco "parklets" at the end of 17th Street, where it meets with Castro and Market Streets, right where the F Line streetcar/trolley car (but not a "Frisco Cable Car") turnaround is. For a change, this parklet actually makes some sense, as that corner of 17th Street was always pretty crazy for traffic, anyway.







Morning Due Café offers a pretty decent breakfastary menu for what is really just a large coffeehouse. They have several omelettes, scrambles, and other hot breakfast items on the menu. Like a lot of coffehouses you order and pay at the counter first (giving you no chances to chew and screw, dammit), and then they bring the food out to you when it is done. I ordered the Buffalo Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Omelette ~ which strangely enough contained Buffalo Mozzarella, tomatoes (they allowed me to substitute the fresh tomatoes with sundried tomatoes), and basil; served with Cajun potatoes (which are home fries with Cajun spices, red and green bell peppers, and onions) and toast (I went with sourdough). I also had another large cuppa coffee.




This was basically a Pizza Margherita omelette. It was made frittata-style with the tomatoes and basil mixed in the egg batter and the large dollops of Mozzarella on top. There were lots of sundried tomatoes and fresh basil (most places usually go pretty cheap on both ingredients). I wasn't quite sure if my idea of using sundried tomatoes would work or not (these usually overpower most other flavours), but they actually worked very well and complemented both the basil and Mozzarella.

I don't know what the actual brand of coffee that they serve was (they state that it's Fair Trade Organic is all), but it was good enough for me to order another large cuppa after I had finished off the small cuppa while walking around.

Morning Due Café has for condimentary supplements just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red). I had come prepared and went with some of my own Cherry Republic® KaBOB’s Kick’en Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy!) on the omelette and a little HP Guinness® (Thanks again, Cindy!) on the potatoes. Neither really needed any extra flavouring, but I figured that I had schlepped the stupid things with me, so I was gonna use some.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: BMTB Omelette ~ 6.5; Coffee ~ 6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment