Sunday, November 18, 2012

Eats

"'There's no use trying', she said: 'one can't believe impossible things.' 
'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.'"
~ Lewis Carroll, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", Chapter 5




(Still no official website.)

50 Clement Street (on the corner of 2nd Avenue)

Phonicular contact: (415) 751-8000




(I was running out of "Eat"-themed EweToob videos to link when dining at this particular restaurant. I think I may have used Blondie's "Eat To The Beat" twice already. So, I reached out to my defacedbook friends and family, and, I am happy to say, as in real life, they were a major disappointment. I got three crummy suggestions, and one was not even a real suggestion. Well, this is the best of the two other suggestions. If anyone has a problem with today's video link, you can take it up with Karl Brandt; he's only 6'5" and about 250 pounds.)


Before the end of the year, I am trying to work my way through my Breakfastary Line-up again, so today I went back to Eats (see last 'blog-entry from August 12th, 2012). They are located over in the Richmond District… yada, yada, yada… (I have eaten and reviewed this place several times already within the last few years. All you need to know is that the food is great, and that they have Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes. Also, get there early, as they are a rather small joint and tend to fill up pretty quickly on the weekends.)

I think that I may have tried just about all of their egg/omelette dishes by now and decided to finally order something from their "Off the Griddle" section of the menu. I ordered Apple Walnut Cinnamon French Toast stuffed w/cream cheese (This used to be listed on their menu as Apple Walnut Cinnamon Raisin Brioche French Toast, which sounded good, too). I also ordered a side of Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes (it's a "sweet-and-savoury" thing) and a large glass of Power "C" ~ grapefruit, orange, and pineapple juices.





I really liked this dish and it is good to note that I have a fall-back to order there if I ever get tired of their other egg dishes (I probably won't ever get tired, though). The French toast is made with four slices of bread stuffed with cream cheese and topped with sliced apples and walnuts. The apples were Golden Delicious (I asked) that were thinly sliced and sautéed in butter (pears would be great in this dish, too). Even the cream cheese got in on the flavour business as it was cinnamon cream cheese.

I can't believe that I almost forgot to order a side of the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes; this would be like going all the way to Vienna and forgetting to order Apfelstrudel mit warmer Vanillesoße for dessert (or getting there and they say they are all out, so you just settle for a cuppa coffee instead, Jerry). This is not really a complaint, just pointing it out: there were just two large cloves of roasted garlic in the Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes this morning; normally, there are anywhere from six to ten cloves. 





The Power "C" is made with all fresh-squeezed (or blendered) juices. Today it had the perfect balance of grapefruit-orange-pineapple percentages: just enough tart grapefruit to counter the sweetness of the pineapple.

Eats condimentary supplements are the typical San Francisco Triumvirate of: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red), Tapatío®, and Cholula®. That is a pretty decent selection; however, with their Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes only another as Excellent! hot sauce can be used, so I went with some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters Pepper Sauce (Thanks agains, Brian and Amys!) on them.

Just so that today wasn't a total failure, I believed at least three impossible things before I left the house this morning (and it took me no longer than fifteen minutes, Mr. Dodgson).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Apple Walnut Cinnamon French Toast ~ 7.2; Power "C" ~ 7.0; Excellent! Roasted Home Potatoes ~ 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment