Sunday, April 14, 2013

Dottie’s True blue café

"Expect problems and eat them for breakfast." ~ Alfred A. Montapert



http://dotties.biz/



(Just a couple of unrelated music selections this morning.)


Continuing a workout of my Breakfastary Rotation, I went back to Dottie’s True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from January 27th, 2013) this morning for breakfast. I got there about ten minutes before they open (7:30am) and there were already about ten people in front of me waiting in line. It never ceases to amuse me to see what kinda losers get up that early on a Sunday morning and wait in line just to have breakfast.

Hey! What gives?! I just had plain ol' salt and pepper shakers on my table this morning; nothing kitschy or cool.

Since I last ate there, they have the newest addition to their décor: a big reclining lion statue thingy. Now I have decided to do a completely unsolicited and unofficial "Name the Lyin' Lion Contest" for them. Please feel free to submit to me your suggestion(s) of a really good name. Please note, anyone suggesting "Leo" or "Leon" will be automatically disqualified (although, "Leonardo da Distendere" would be acceptable). Make it something with a Roaring 20's or Boring 30's flair to it, maybe. Jazz it up!





Someone needs to tell these stupid touristas that pieces of artwork aren't to be used for their personal hat racks.[1]

On today's Specials Board they again had the most excellent Zucchini Cakes, but I had that only a few visits back and just had another Uova Benedicto version yesterday for breakfast. There were still a few other interesting selection on the Specials Board, but for a change of pace, I actually ordered off the printed menu and had Black Bean Cakes and Eggs any style ~ served with grilled chili-cheddar corn bread and home fries (both spelled as two words; I prefer the one-word spellings), topped with sour cream & pico de gallo. I also had  a cuppa the house coffee.




I ordered this with the eggs over-medium. The Black Bean Cakes (two of them) are basically a vegetarian sausage patty, made with black beans and rice and stuff. These used to be only available once in a while on the Specials Board, but they proved to be popular enough that they are now available every day. I really like this and it was always one of my fall-backs if I didn't spy something really interesting (which was not that often) on the Specials Board. I think the only way to make them even better would be to add some grilled corn kernels in the mix. Sometimes now they do offer a different legume-based version on the Specials Board: Lentil Cakes, Black-eyed Peas Cakes, etc. I like that the cornbread is grilled. They offer and suggest a side order of some of Dottie's Own Chipotle Pepper Jelly (for an additional charge); I really recommend getting this if you have never had it before. I even have a jar of my own in my refrigerator that I purchased some time ago there.

Now Dottie's True blue café has a very good condimentary supplements selection and I used a little Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Chipotle on the eggs. To compliment that hot sauce, I used some of my own Spicymonkey Raspberry & chipotle ketchup (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the homefries. I must confess, this was a premeditated spicification; knowing what Dottie's True blue café had to offer, I had brought this specific hot sauce along with me today hoping to be able to use some also.

I am very happy to report that there were no stupid parklets to be seen anywhere in this neighborhood. The city is probably too afraid to have one built in the sketchy surroundings.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Black Bean Cakes and Eggs ~ 7.0


1. That is a 1937 Memphis Red Sox cap, by the way. The Memphis Red Sox were a professional Baseball Team that played in the Negro National League. They had a few good players on their team over the years, too; some guys named Leroy Robert Paige and John Jordan O'Neil to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment