Saturday, April 20, 2013

Q Restaurant and Wine Bar


We B Boston![1]



http://www.qrestaurant.com/



(In keeping with the theme above, today's EweToob selections should be pretty self-exploratory. Just NO stupid "Sweet Caroline", you're welcome! Play all of these songs stupidly LOUD, too.)


Even though they don't open until 10:00am on the weekends, as they are already in my Breakfastary Rotation, I went back to Q Restaurant and Wine Bar (see last 'blog-entry from February 10th, 2013) over on Clement Street. Once again I sat at my favourite table, the "Wooly Willy" tableau one; however, once again I didn't have a strong enough magnet with me to play the tonsorial expert.

There were a few nice choices on today's Weekend "Brunch" Specials menu, including Fried Green Tomatoes Benedict, which I have had a few times in the past and knew to be good, but I wanted to try something that I hadn't had before. I ended up getting Eli's Egg Sandwich ~ (two) eggs over medium, bacon, avocado, tomato, white Cheddar, and cilantro-cashew pesto on a telera[2] bun, wheat toast, or English muffin, with home fries. I also had a cuppa the house coffee (I am not sure which brand they use, but it's always pretty good and a bottomless cup).





Naturally, I skipped the dead, decaying porky bits, and the eggs were more of the fried eggs variety, not over-medium (besides, fried eggs make it an easier sandwich to manage). From what I could tell, the pesto was pretty decent; I really couldn't taste any cashew in it, but I will take their word for it. And, of course, the entire thing was much better than that crap breakfast sandwich that Ronald likes to foist off on the unsuspecting public (read: idiots); consider this a sort of Egg Q'muffin. The telera bun was fresh and a pretty good choice over plain ol' wheat bread toast or an English muffin. But let's be honest here, it was all still just a fancified fried egg sandwich.

I chose the telera bun over the other two bready choices as I just assumed that they used your boring, standard Mr. Thomas' English muffin. However, I saw them as a side order on a few plates and they were also homemade and about twice as thick as normal. They would be a decent choice in the future.

I knew that Q also has a very good condimentary supplementation selection, but I had just received two new bottles of hot sauces (Thanks, Kerry!) from my brother, Kerry, (Hey, Kerry!) in the mail this week and wanted to try them. Kerry (Kerry wanted me to make sure to mention his name in reference to these two new hot sauces) actually bought these while he was in India last week, but, surprisingly, they are both from South Africa. That seemed kind of funny to me, I would have thought that South African hot sauces in India would be about as superfluous as a Taco Bell® en el barrio, cholo. I used a little of Mama Africa's Zulu Sauces ~ Chilli Mint* on just one half of the sandwich. I used a pretty decent amount of Nando's Extra Hot Peri-Peri Sauce** on the homefries. The Chili Mint is a different and interesting one. I liked both of these; the Peri-Peri Sauce may have been a little bit hotter than the Chilli Mint, but neither were really that overpowering (well, not compared with some of my other wickedly hot ones). (Did I mention that these were from my brother Kerry?)

*Ingredients (Strictly Vegetarian):
Vinegar, water, capsicum species (18%), mint, sunflower oil, sugar, paprika, salt, garlic, lemon, mustard powder, coriander, acidity regulator (E270), thickener (E415), & black pepper.
Colour may vary.


http://www.mamaafricas.com/


**Ingredients:
Vinegar, salt, lemon (5%), spices (including African Bird's Eye chilli ~ Peri-Peri chilli), Serrano chilli, onion, sunflower oil, stabilisers (xanthan gum, propylene glycol alginate), garlic, antioxidant (calcium disodium EDTA).


http://nandosperiperi.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=49630&cid=1723


Today's bill came with two Tootsie Roll® (the standard cocoa flavour) Midgees***.

***I know that the more politically correct term should be "Little Person's cocoa-flavoured chewy candy", but this is the official name by the heightist bigots at Tootsie®, sorry.

And thank Dog that Clement Street hasn't fallen victim to any of those stupid parklets yet. (I don't know if I have seen any in all of the Richmond District even.)

Lastly, in honour of today's nationally recognized Holiday (well, if your name happens to be "the Dude" or such), here is one last song/video:


 




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Eli's Egg Q'muffin ~ 6.2


1. While I am generally not a big fan of either 1337-speak or Ebonics, I felt this one was okay due to this week's tragic events in and around Boston. And while both may be ferren languages to most 'mericans, neither of these will be considered a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day.

If anyone was interested (even if you weren't), to represent Boston today I wore a "The Pubs of Boston" t-shirt, a (generic black with white lettering) "BOSTON" sweatshirt, a Bruins "Stanley Cup 2011 Champions" baseball cap, and a Red Sox windbreaker.

2. "Telera" is a round/oval Mexican bread/roll that is very similar to a "bolillo", but usually a little softer. A "bolillo" is just a type of traditional, savoury bread made in Mexico.

Now here is an actual stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-baked goods pointer of the day (Did you really think you could escape this?):

"Bolillo" is the diminutive of the Spanish "bollo", meaning "bun, roll", which comes from Latin "bulla", meaning "bubble, knob" (see: "boil" and "bolas").

No comments:

Post a Comment