Sunday, August 18, 2013

21st Amendment - Brewery - Cafe - Bar

"Everybody is using coffee; this must be prevented. His Majesty was brought up on Beer and so were both his ancestors and officers. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on Beer, and the King does not believe that coffee drinking soldiers can be relied on to endure hardships in case of another war." 
~ Frederick the Great, King of Prussia (1740-1786)




http://21st-amendment.com/the-restaurant/



(I couldn't find a "21"-related, or "Beer"-related, or even "Pizza"-related song on EweToob that I liked. This completely unrelated song will have to do; mainly 'cause I said so.)


What is better than Beer and Pizza for breakfast? (That was a rhetorical question. Well, maybe Beer, Pizza, and Ice Cream, but Ice Cream wasn't on the menu unfortunately.) So I had breakfast at 21st Amendment - Brewery - Cafe - Bar this morning. It is located just two blocks straight up 2nd Street (between Bryant and Brannan) from AT&T Park, Home of Your World Champion San Francisco Giants. I must admit, the 21st Amendment is one of my favourite of all the Amendments, but the other Twenty Amendments that Noah brought back down with him from Mt. Olympus are okay, too.

The restaurant has a large, indoor warehouse-y space with a Mezzanine[1] Bar and even ten four-seater tables outside on the sidewalk/alleyway (there was even a large big-screen teevee showing this morning's Giants game outside, too). They open at 10:00am for "Brunch" and only on Sundays.

21st Amendment is not just a brew-pub, they actually sell their Beer commercially in stores, too. I have purchased a few different kinds of their Beers in the past; however, they are all sold in aluminum cans, not glass bottles. They give this big reasoning why they actually package their product in cans (which they state are state of the art/new-fangled cans, yadayadayada), but the bottom line is because it's cheaper. Wine should always have real cork stoppers and Beer should always be in glass bottles. Simples!






They really don't offer too many items on the "Brunch" menu (just ten choices). The hardest decision this morning actually was choosing which Beer to have with the meal. I ended up ordering Breakfast Pizza ~ Black Forest ham, mushrooms, spinach, goat cheese, and an egg in the middle. I also had a side of New Potatoes O'Brien. I decided on a glass (well, a plastic cup, whatever) of Hell or High Watermelon Wheat (4.9% ABV), mainly because it is their summer seasonal Beer.





I ordered the Pizza without the ham. It is made with a Beer-mash crust. This was good, but not the best Pizza I have ever had for breakfast. I have no idea what Old Potatoes O'Brien tasted like, but the New ones were pretty decent. In addition to O'Brien potatoes, there were lots of red, green, and yellow bell peppers and (pickled?) red onions. The Beer was served with the requisite slice/chunk of watermelon on the rim (which I saw fit to eat for dessert, of course).

21st Amendment offers the San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces for condimentary supplements: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red), Tapatío®, and Cholula® Hot Sauce. I forewent any of those and used some of my own Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce ~ XX Habanero (Thanks agains, Amys and Brian!) generously on the Pizza and some Serious Food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & Greg!) on the potatoes. The manager-guy noticed my little collection of hot sauces in front of me and tried some of the PAFFPS~XX Habanero; he really seemed to like it a lot, too, and I might have talked him into getting some to use in their restaurant. What can I say? This is really one of the best hot sauces (either the standard or the slightly hotter XX Habanero) that I have ever tried ~ not too hot, but it has a great amount of flavour.

Despite what Old Fritz said, I did make myself a cuppa Peet's® Ethiopian Fancy when I got home and was writing up this 'blog-entry.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Breakfast Pizza ~ 6.7; Hell or High Watermelon Wheat ~ 7.0


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer del giorno:

"Mezzanine" comes from French, from the Italian word "mezzanino" which is the diminutive of  "mezzano" (meaning "middle"), from Latin "mediānus" (meaning "median/of the middle"), Malcolm.

2 comments:

  1. The gang at work is a big fan of Hell or High Watermelon. I'm posting on brewery tours just now, maybe I'll do a linked post to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they offer tours. I didn't even think to ask.

      This was an okay Beer, and made better by being served frisches vom Fass, but I've had better watermelon-based Beers before. As I stated above, I am not a big fan of Beer in "cans". Yeah, I admit it, I am a Beer-snob.

      What I really need to do one of these days is do the Anchor Brewing tour. I used to work just two blocks away from the building, but never did the tour.

      http://www.anchorbrewing.com/

      Delete