Thursday, September 12, 2013

Persy’s Place

Wareham, MA (Monday, 09/09/13)




https://persysplace.com/



(Okay, this isn't the original version, but if I ever go to a restaurant called "Prosol Harum's Quarters", I will link that EweToob video.)


On the unbridled suggestion of a friend (Hey, Ron!) that eats at Persy's Place regularly (the restaurant in Dartmouth/Westport, and probably 2-3 times a week at that), I went there with unbridled enthusiasm on Monday morning with a few other members of my family (my mother, my sister Sharon, and my brother Sean ~ they may have had a slightly more bridled emotion to it, though, Durk). We ate at the Wareham location (on the Cranberry Highway/Route 6, right before you hit Buzzards Bay and the Bourne Bridge to get to Cape Cod). Persy's Place has nine locations throughout Southeastern Massachusetts (5), Cape Cod (3), and Eastern Rhode Island (1), and, as they state, they are "Not a chain… just a few good restaurants run by family and friends". I never did figure out who this "Persy" guy was, though (probably just some kinda nom de plume[1] that Ron is using to drum-up business).




I saw with unbridled happiness that they call their early morning meal "Breakfast" and have a four-page menu dedicated to that meal alone (they only have a two-page "Lunch" menu, but do serve breakfast all day long, anyway). With such an unbridled selection of breakfastary choices (Breakfast Sandwiches, Egg Basics, House Specialties, Egg Favorites, Legendary Egg Creations, Buttermilk Pancakes, French Toast, Belgian Waffles, Crêpes, Scrumptious Scramblers, Quiches, and Persy's Famous 3 Egg Omelets), it took us all a bit of time to decide on what to get. 

Me: Asparagus Omelet ~ young, fresh asparagus and Swiss cheese; served with your choice of 2 Sunrise Sides (as if deciding on what to choose for the main breakfast meal from four pages wasn't unbridled enough, they force you to choose from twelve side items, too). Sean: Eggs Brown Eyed Susan ~ 2 farm fresh dropped eggs (or as you like) with baked ham and hollandaise sauce on 2 slices of New England brown bread[2]; served with your choice of 2 Sunrise Sides. Sharon: (half-order) Eggs Florentine ~ 2 (well, one for a half-order) farm fresh dropped eggs (or as you like), spinach, hollandaise sauce on a toasted English muffin topped with sweet Italian peppers; half-orders are served with your choice of just 1 Sunrise Sides. Mom: one slice of rye bread toast and one slice of pumpernickel toast (seriously), but I think all of their breads are homemade/baked, at least.



(Well, I only took a photo of my meal, but if Sean or Sharon wanted  pictures of their meals, they are free to start their own damned unbridled 'blogs.)


Fist off, all of the plates were very large portions. I really liked my omelette, but figured I would with asparagus as the main ingredient, and it was unbridled with lots and lots of the green-speared goodness. I almost went with the Asparagus Scrambler instead. I really didn't even look at their French Toast or Belgian Waffles section, but if I ever get back there, I will have to think about trying either the Maple Walnut French Toast or the Banana Split Waffle ~ sliced bananas, pineapple, strawberries, topped with walnuts, whipped cream and chocolate syrup(!) ~ oh, yeah!

Sean seemed to like this New England version of Eggs Benedict. The originality of using brown bread in place of boring ol' English muffins was a nice choice. I probably would have liked that, too, just without the unbridled, dead, decaying, swine flesh.

I really liked the idea (and I think Sharon did, too) of the sweet Italian peppers on Sharon's Eggs Florentine and there was an unbridled amount here, too. That they even allow half-orders of Eggs Benedict dishes is pretty cool in itself. I have never heard of that. I asked the waitress-server lady if someone else gets stuck with the other half of Sharon's English muffin now.

I am making a separate paragraph for each of our Sunrise Sides. Me: Persy's Homefries (they have this spelled ~ correctly ~ as one word) and Cinnamon Crumpets (it is really just one, though). The homefries were excellent half-inch cubes of potatoes. The crumpet was good, and I used some apple butter on it, but if I ever get back again, I would definitely get what Sean had (see next paragraph). 

Sean: Hashbrowns (they have this as two words) and Our Grilled Cornbread. I am not joking, the cornbread was HUGE and absolutely unbridled; it had to be at least three to four normal-sized servings. We all got to sample some of it. It was very moist and tasty.

Sharon: Black Beans. She is eating gluten-free ~ by choice even ~ and was actually going to order the 2% Cottage Cheese until I shamed her out of that absolutely stupid choice. Who goes out to a restaurant to eat and orders cottage cheese?! Even I can "prepare a scoop" of cottage cheese at home. And don't give me that bridled excuse, "But what if someone is on a diet and wants a lighter side?" Please, if you are trying to lose weight, stay at home or just skip a meal. Cottage cheese is not a viable "side" at a restaurant... evah!

There were no sides offered with my mother's toasts

Persy's Place offers for condimentary supplementation Tabasaco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both the original red and green jalapeño), Trappey's® Louisiana Hot Sauce, and Frank’s® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce. I used some of the green Tabasco® on my potatoes and some Trappey's® on the omelette. I really didn't think to pack any of my own collection to take back with me to Massachusetts (however, I did receive two brand new bottles that I will be testing later this weekend ~ Thanks, Kerry!)

Ron can just be thankful that we all really enjoyed our meals unbridledly!




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Asparagus Omelet ~ 6.5; Eggs Brown Eyed Susan ~ 6.8 (Per Sean's input; he has been educated on the correct usage of the GBS Rating and can be trusted to be truthful and accurate; I really didn't bother to ask Sharon for her rating, as she is a female and, by nature, prone to unbridled exaggerations and mistruths of all manners; and I didn't ask my mother for her ratings on her toasts either)


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer du jour:

"Nom de plume" is French for "pen name"; "nom" is "name" and "plume" is "pen" ~ "plume" literally means "feather" in French, but the word leant itself to the old feather quill pens. 

Now here is the interesting thing, and I quote Wikipedia for this unbridled explanation:

Despite the use of French words in the phrase nom de plume, the term did not originate in France, its origin is Latin. H.W. Fowler and F. G. Fowler, in The King's English, state that the term nom de plume "evolved" in Britain, where people wanting a "literary" phrase, failed to understand the term nom de guerre, which already existed in French. Since guerre means war in French, nom de guerre did not make sense to the British, who did not understand the French metaphor. The term was later exported to France.

2. For anyone that isn't familiar with "New England brown bread", it really is a strange invention. It can be found in many grocery stores (if you really look for it). It is packaged in cans (yes, cans) and usually is in the same section that sells baked beans and such. I like it, but I am strange and grew up with the junk ~ unbridled or bridled. 

2 comments: