Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ella’s

"The one with the green beans, roasted beets, grilled carrots, and havarti ~ potato scramble."


www.ellassanfrancisco.com




(The first EweToob video should be self-explanatory by the name of the restaurant. The next two songs are just to honour Van Morrison as his 68th birthday was yesterday. I would have linked my All-Time Favourite of All-Time Van Morrison song, "Tupelo Honey", but I see that I have already linked it here three times before; maybe for Van's 70th. Save me a big slice o' that humble pie, Johnnie Ray!)


Today's breakfastary destination was to another in my Breakfastary Rotation ~ Ella's (see last 'blog-entry from April 6th, 2013). Once again, I sat at the counter overlooking the bakery/kitchen area and got to see "the show"; today, el maestro was preparing buttermilk biscuits and cinnamon buns.

Mobular Rant of the Day
Parents, if you are eating at a crowded, noisy restaurant, don't answer your phone and say, "I can't hear you, it's too noisy in here. Can I call you back later?"

1) What kind of example does it set for your kids when you are talking on a phone at the table during a meal? It is not only rude to everyone else at the table, but obnoxious to the caller, too.
2) Why answer it at all, does your voice-mail not seem to work when you are eating out?
3) What makes you think that everyone else around you cares to hear you screaming on your stupid phone and listen to a half-conversation (either put the caller on speaker-phone so the rest of us can eavesdrop and know the entire story, or just speak at a normal non-harpish level)?

Idiots! (Yes, in case it wasn't quite apparent, I dislike the whole stupid current i-telephony fad. Now back to the actual breakfast part of the 'blog-thingy.)

Ella's calls their early morning meal "Brunch" on the weekends, but opens up at 8:30am and can be forgiven that snooty-assed moniker. There were a few interesting items from which to choose, but I ended up ordering potato scramble ~ with green beans, roasted beets, grilled carrots, and havarti ~ with added eggs; served with choice of fresh baked bread/toast or biscuit. I also had a Ginger Orange Juice Punch. (I skipped any coffee with breakfast, but made myself a nice cuppa Bettys Tea Room Blend ~ tea, that is ~ to enjoy while typing out this morning's 'blog-entry.)




(Yeah… well… maybe I meant for the photo to look that blurry... ummm… Its ethereal appearance was meant to signify another one of Van's best songs, "Into the Mystic"… yeah, that's it.

Of course, if you believe that lame excuse, maybe you were truly "born before the wind". 


The really sad thing is that this was the best of the three that I took.)


This was a very good choice and I liked all of the ingredients. The beets were my deciding factor in getting this meal this morning. We 'mericans don't seem to eat enough of these maroon taproots; but, I just loves 'em. However, I think it would have been cool to have included all subterranean fruits in it: potatoes (both regular and sweet?), beets, carrots, and fennel root, or something else (turnips, rutabagas, or parsnips). My toast choice was honey oatmeal raisin once again, it's really one of their best; they actually use golden raisins (Sultanas?! Whatever their nobility is.), but if I had used "raisin", people would assume that I suffered from deuteranopia. 

Ella's offers as condimentary supplements just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both the standard red and the green Jalapeño). I used some of my own Serious Food… Silly Prices Sweet Heat Hot Sauce (Thanks again, Cindy & Greg!) on about 2/3 of the scramble (which killed the last of that bottle; now I only have another 5-6 bottles to use up… before I will be under ten bottles and can even think about buying any more) and some Youk's Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the remaining half of the scramble.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude
I saw a small flock of about six Wild Parrots flying overhead (I heard them first, then looked up and saw them) on my way to the restaurant this morning. I was surprised, because you don't normally see them this far west into the city.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: potato scramble ~ 6.8; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

1 comment:

  1. If anyone is actually paying attention, this was my 400th 'blog-entry here.

    ReplyDelete