Sunday, July 20, 2014

Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House


Insanity is in the mind of the beholder.



http://www.cliffhouse.com/bistro/index.html


Place: Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House
Location: 1090 Point Lobos (at the end of the Earth/Ocean Beach)
Hours: open for breakfast Monday - Saturday at 9:00am and Sunday at 8:30am
Meal: Farmer's Breakfast Scramble ~ Scrambled Eggs, Ham, Potatoes, Green Onions, Cheddar Cheese (All Egg Entrees Served with Fresh Fruit and Roasted Potatoes); a glass of orange juice; and the act you've known for all these years… so let me introduce to you, the one and only… (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!)






(The first EweToobular song is just because I stumbled across it earlier in the week and thought the combination of Queen [or what remained of them], Elton John, and Axl Rose was completely bizarre. The second song should be self-exploratory with the strange Jehovah's Witness interlude in today's 'blog-entry; not only is this song one of my All-time Favourite Rock-and/or-Roll Songs of All-Time, it might quite possibly be The Ultimate Rock-and/or-Roll Song of Ultimately All-Time, too. Are you an experienced Jehovah's Witness?)


And finally to close out the summer workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I ended up back at Bistro Restaurant at Cliff House (see last 'blog-entry from April 26th, 2014). In case you have never heard before, they have (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) there! I think that they may also serve other food, too.

Actually, Bistro Restaurant's breakfastary menu is a very limited one for stupid vegetarians. Other than this morning's meal, there really are only: Classic Eggs Benedict (which is a pretty boring choice, and it would have to be ordered without the dead, decaying porky bits); Joe's Special Scramble (which would also have to be ordered without the grounded up dead, decaying bovine flesh); Sautéed Vegetable Scramble (which would not need any subtractions, unless you happen to have a strong aversion to fungi); and Thick Sliced Sourdough French Toast (again, not that exciting, and I don't think I have even ever ordered that one there). Several years ago, they used to offer a Greek Scramble (made with real Kalamata olives and lots of Greek Feta); it was truly one of the better versions in San Francisco, too. The real irony is that the restaurant is owned by a Greek family and I have no idea why they stopped offering it on the menu.

Sorry, there are no shots of the Hollywoodland autographed photos on their walls this morning. I think that I may have chronicled their entire display by now. So, in lieu of any pretentious bastages from filmdom, here are a couple of photos of anti-skateboard thingys (that is the actual technical term; really) that are out front on the steps/benches.





I got there about fifteen to twenty minutes before they opened this morning and had just planned on walking around the building and watching the ocean scenery until they opened up. Well, I was completely rewarded by my decision and was pleasantly surprised with a great show put on by about a dozen dolphins (plenty of porpoises?)[1] swimming just offshore around Seal Rocks. At first, I wasn't quite sure if they were actually dolphins or porpoises, until I saw a couple of them do the Flipper thing and jump about five feet out of the water. There were also about twenty to thirty surfers just about 100 yards away along Ocean Beach. Do you think little dolphins get all excited when they see surfers? "Mommy, Mommy, look! There are those silly people that like to dress as sea lions and act as shark bait. Can I go play with them? Can I? Please?" As I was leaving, I made sure to ask my waitress-server lady if there was no extra charge for the aquatic show.




Of course, I ordered the Scramble without the ham. It was pretty decent as always, but nothing extremely awesome. As the potatoes are already an ingredient in this meal, they don't serve a side of potatoes with them. Pity, I can never get enough potatoes. As for the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!), there were three in the basket, but they always ask if you'd like more, anyway. Have I ever told you how fantastic the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) are?!

This morning's fresh fruit: cantaloupe, watermelon (a botanical berry), honeydew melon, grapes (another botanical berry), and a strawberry (not a botanical berry, though).[2]

For condimentary supplements, Bistro Restaurant has just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red). I used some of my own Mama Africa'sZulu Sauces Chili Mint (Thanks, Kerry! And that successfully killed off another brave soldier. At this rate, I may finally use up all my bottles of hot sauces by sometime in '15 ~ of course, that would be 3015.) on half of the scramble mess and some Big Papi En Fuego Hot Sauce Off The Wall Triple Hot (Thanks, Kerry! ~ no relation to that other "Kerry") on the other half.

Strange Jehovah's Witness Interlude

Now this was very weird (even for San Francisco standards). Yesterday afternoon as I was walking back to my apartment I passed a lady in a car handing out "Watchtower" flyers from the open window, and she asked me If I would like one. Don't these damn Jehovah's Witnesses even have the common decency to come to your door and have it slammed in their faces any more?

Anyway, after breakfast this morning, I took a little stroll up to Sutro Heights Park (I had parked in the little lot just downhill from there). High atop one of the larger Cypress trees, I saw a fledgling Red-tailed Hawk squawking his head off waiting for his mother to come back with his breakfast, too. Sorry, little buddy, I already ate all of the (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutro_Heights_Park


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Farmer' Breakfast Scramble ~ 6.5; Red-tailed Hawk ~ 7.5; Dozens of Dancing Dolphins ~ 7.8; (World) Famous Cliff House Popovers(!) ~ 8.2



1. Actual Terms of Venery:

"a Pod or School of Dolphins"
"a School of Porpoises" 
"a Gam of Whales"
"a Board of Surfers"

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

Just because I felt like it, here are today's fruits (frutta) in Italian:

Cantaloupe ~ cantalupo (see, sometimes this stuff ain't chirurgia del cervello)
Watermelon ~ anguria
Honeydew melon ~ melone (and it doesn't necessarily have to be scienza missilistica, either)
Grapes ~ uva
Strawberry ~ fragola

No comments:

Post a Comment