Friday, July 4, 2014

Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe

"What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?" ~ Lin Yutang



(No official web-site.)


Place: Cafe Golo ~ Boutique Cafe
Location: 1602 Lombard Street (at Gough Street, naturally); phonicular contact: (415) 673-4656
Hours: open at 8:00am every day of the week (luckily, even on holidays)
MealGolo Ranchero ~ Corn tortillas topped with eggs, (black) beans, cheese, jalapeño pepper, Salsa Verde, sour cream; a Pear-Apple Tart; and a glass of orange juice





(These EweToobular juxtaselections should be truly self-evident[1] by today's date.)


I really don't need a patriotic holiday to get back to Cafe Golo (see last 'blog-entry from March 23rd, 2014), but it's as good of an excuse as any. This morning's visit marks the first time (and hopefully many more to come) that I am going to Cafe Golo with them now officially in my Starting Rotation. Originally I had planned on DFA-ing grindz (due to no fault of their own really, but there are only about three to four vegetarian-option dishes from which to choose on their "Brunch" menu); however, they have received a brief reprise because Q Restaurant and Wine Bar has closed their doors ~ their last day of business was June 29th ~ after sixteen years on Clement Street. So, that left a brand new slot to be filled, anyway. Welcome to the Bigs, Rookie!

I have been to Cafe Golo now several times (and, coincidentally, also several times in July over the past few years) and have tried most of their vegetarian breakfastary ideas/choices; however, I still have a few more left to try. There are still (the uniquely and a bit oxymoronically named) Spinach Scramble Omelet (I figured that it was just a replacement of their Florentine Omelet, which I have had before, but it is an actual separate entry on the menu with seemingly different ingredients ~ but what the heck is a "Scramble Omelet"? Maybe I will find out in a few months on my next visit.) or Breakfast Burrito; additionally, I do want to try their Veggie Tater Scramble again (I had it on my first visit there and really liked it).

I asked Miss P.B. about how their new restaurant on Jones Street is coming, and she told me that it is still a few months from opening (City codes, etc.). During my visit in March, they had originally planned to open in April or May. They have settled on a name for the new place name: "Grits" (as in "Guy/Girl Raised In The South"; hey, don't blame me for that corny ~ or gritty ~ acronym, that was all from Miss P.B.; apparently both Jay and she are South-of-the-Mason-Dixoners themselves). She assured me that there would be both grits and polenta on the new menu. I jokingly said they should have named the place "Cafe Tujo" or "Cafe Jotu" (see, it's on Jones Street and the nearest corner is Turk Street); she said that other people had suggested that, too, and they even gave it some thought. Of course, I still think that the best name would have been "P.B. & Jay Cafe", (or even doing it backward as "Jay & P.B. Cafe" to really mess with customers), but people might mistake it for just a sandwich joint.




As good as their breakfast dishes are, their baked goods and pastries are even better and all top-notch. So, it's always a great idea to start off with a fresh and warm baked good. I don't know what kind of pears they use, but the apples are probably a green Granny Smith variety or such. I also got a Sweet Potato Tart and a Blueberry-Raspberry Tart (it was drizzled with a with sugar-cream glaze, so it perfectly fit the Spirit with Red, White, and Blue theme for the day) to go(lo) and enjoy later in the day.




This was yet still another sockdolager of a meal! There was a nice bit (kick) of heat in the Salsa Verde. Per Miss P.B., they have recently upped the ante and added a few more Serrano chillies to the mix; it was spicy, but not too spicy for a seasoned chilli-head (pun totally intended) like me. According to Miss P.B., this is their most popular breakfastary item; I can now see why and concur fully. It also came with a nice corn-Pico de Gallo and sliced avocado (at least one-quarter or one-half) on the side, too.

I doubt they will use this slogan, but I told Miss P.B. that she is free to use it if she sees fit (or if she has a fit and can't see any more): "Golo Ranchero or golo home!"

I had brought some of my own hot sauces along with me and knew what Cafe Golo had to offer, but I did not find it necessary to mess with the fine Salsa Verde that was already smothering the mess.


Happy Hotdogs and Watermelon Day to all!


Glen Bacon Scale RatingGolo Ranchero ~ 7.1; Salsa Verde ~ 7.4; various fresh-baked pastries/tarts ~ 7.0-7.5


1. Please tell me that at least one person got that stupid joke.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. A.N. Onymous:

    Get your own damn 'blog-thing if you want to Spam® people with useless advertisements.

    Sincerely,
    B.U. Ggeroff

    ReplyDelete