Saturday, July 19, 2014

grindz

Reality is: knowing that there is a central truth, not being able to explain it, being afraid to search for it; thus, we die unfulfilled… so why not lie?



http://www.grindzrestaurant.com/


Place: grindz 
Location: 832 Clement Street (between 9th and 10th Avenues; or, if you happen to be of Israeli or Arab descent, between 10th and 9th Avenues) 
Hours: open for "Brunch" Friday, Saturday, & Sunday at 9:00am 
Meal: Apple Banana Pancakes (2 stack) ~ apple, bananas, coconut crème anglaise[1], crushed Macadamia nuts ("How do you piss off a local Macadamian?"); a side of Plantation Potatoes; and a cuppa Bicycle Coffee co (and a coupla refillas, too)


http://www.bicyclecoffeeco.com/





(Today's EweToobular mix is basically because: 1) like most Saturday mornings during a San Francisco Summer, there really wasn't any noticeable sunshine today; and 2) they are normally playing some form of Reggae music at grindz whenever I have eaten breakfast there. 

Mr. Palmer is not technically a Reggae singer, but the original song was by Toots and the Maytals. I also never knew that he was a West Yorkshire lad ~ by way of Batley [just south of Leeds and off the M52 a piece], Mr. & Mrs. Kipe.)


Finishing up with the summer workout of the restaurants in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I went back to grindz (see last 'blog-entry from April 20th, 2014). I know that I had stated the last time that I ate there I would be moving grindz out of the rotation, but, due to the unforeseen closure of Q Restaurant and Wine Bar last month, grindz has seen a reprieve from being DFA'd. They still really only have four different "Brunch" choices for stupid vegetarians, though: this morning's meal; Kalua Benedict (which is really a very nice take on plain ol' Eggs Benny, and was the first meal that I ever had there and prompted their being placed into the rotation initially); Veg N Eggs; and French Toast (which they do with a nice Hawai'ian twist, bra'). Which all works out nicely for me, as I probably don't go there more than four times a year, anyway. And I really like the local locality of the joint for me, too (it's actually close enough to walk to ~ that is, if I ever feel like walking twenty blocks both ways).




I opted for the smaller portion "2 Stack" option of pancakes because I wanted to make sure that I had room for their excellent Plantation Potatoes; if I had gotten the "4 Stack", it may have been a little bit too much food. The pancakes were a nice apple-banana partnership (just as the name implied) and I did get more of the coconut crème anglaise this time (than I did the first time that I had this dish), but I still would have liked just a little bit more of it, though; it really is a pretty tasty sauce (I didn't find it necessary to lick up all the last bits of the sauce, but I did, anyway). 

I ordered the side of Plantation Potatoes because I could, and they are always very good. They are made with lots of celery slices, (red) bell pepper slices, and (white) onion slices in the mess. It ended up being  just the right amount of food for my appetite and was a nice savoury-sweet breakfastary combination.

Again, Bicycle Coffee co is really one of the better local commercial Coffees available in the Bay Area.

grindz only has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (the standard red) for bottled condimentary supplementation; however, they do make their own Hawai'ian Ketchup (plastic squeeze-bottles are on each table) and it is very good. I used some of the Hawai'ian Ketchup on half of my potatoes and some of my own Serious Food… Silly Prices Chunky Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mr. & Mrs. Kipe!) on the other half of the potatoes (which effectively killed the last of that brave soldier… leaving me with only 15-16 bottles of hot sauces in my refrigerator now).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Apple Banana Pancakes ~ 6.4; Plantation Potatoes ~ 7.1; Bicycle Coffee co ~ 7.2


1. I would just like to point out that they had the "crème" spelded correctly (avec l'accent grave) on their menu, which is always nice. However, I didn't feel it necessary to make this a stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day. And it's just much easier to provide a hyperlink from our friendly friends at Wikipedia than for me to try and explain exactly what it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creme_anglaise

No comments:

Post a Comment