Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pete’s Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969


"Yesterday is but a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope." 
~ Sanskrit proverb



(No official web-site.)


Place: Pete's Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969
Location: 1661 Divisadero Street (on the corner of Sutter Street); phonicular contact: (415) 931-4800
Hours: open Monday - Friday at 7:00am, Saturday at 8:00am; closed every other day of the week
Meal: Avocado, Bell Pepper, & Jack Cheese Omelet ~ served w/ 3 extra large eggs, home style potatoes, and white or wheat toast; and a bottle of orange juice (not fresh, just a small bottle from their refrigerated glass case section)






(Choose your own offbeat EweToobular cover of this song. Actually, the Richie Havens version is very good.)


I tried another new place (well, actually, not really very "new" at all, but it was my first time ever eating there; apparently it has been around "since 1969") this morning for breakfast: Pete's Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969. (See? It says so right in their signage.) They are located over in the Lower Pacific Heights neighborhood; literally surrounded by buildings of the UCSF Medical Center. There is nothing really fancy, Nancy (or Magil or Lil), about this joint; it is just your typical corner deli-café place. I think this is really one of the only early morning choices in the neighborhood for UCSF Medical Center workers to grab a bite to eat, anyway.

You order first at the deli counter and then pay down the counter at the cash register (and it is specifically noted that they only accept "cash"). Pete's Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969 has a pretty limited menu for other breakfastary choices. I could have gone with a different omelette ingredients combination (they have a list of thirteen items and four different cheeses from which to choose). They also offer a few kinds of pancakes and French toast, a Breakfast Sandwich (1 egg, ham or bacon, and cheese; served on white, wheat, English muffin, or bagel), or a Breakfast Burrito (1 egg, cheese, & choice of meat: ham, bacon, or sausage; they offer this as a Regular or a Special; the Special just includes salsa and potatoes in it and they add additional choices of meat to include steak and chorizo).




This was a decent enough omelette, but nothing really extra special. I did like that it included a good amount of avocado, but it was the mashed variety and not fresh slices/chunks. I went "off-menu" and actually got sourdough toast. I would have liked the potatoes to have been a little crispier (I was only the second customer in there this morning, so they may have not gotten the potatoes up to maximum crispiocity yet); I did like how they were prepared/sliced (sort of French Fry-style) and they had a good amount of diced up white onions in with them, too.

I skipped any Coffee with my meal, as Pete's Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969 only offers Caffé[1] Roma; it looked like they do offer three different roasts/blends from which to choose, though. Caffé Roma is currently on my Boycott List because they are the same bastages that support one of those stupid parklets things in front of their main roasting location in North Beach. Because of which, I felt it absolutely necessary to make my own cuppa Bettys Christmas Coffee (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) at home to enjoy while preparing this 'blog-entry. (It ain't truly morning or breakfast without a decent cuppa; I don't make the laws, I just follow them. How ever do all those law-breakers know when it is morning in Utah?!)

For condimentary supplementation, Pete's Deli & Cafe ~ since 1969 only has Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce and Huy Fong Foods Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce. I just used some of my own The Wiltshire Chilli Farm Mango hot chilli sauce on the omelette and some Hell Mouth on the potatoes (Thanks for both, Cindy & Greg!!). I think the flavours would have paired better if I had swapped the hot sauces on these two. I really do have my work cut out for me if I am going to use up all four of these new bottles within the three or four months that I need to.


Raccoon Island Discovery Day Anniversary Strange Interlude




(Sure, I didn't actually "discover" Raccoon Island, I just stumbled across it last year, but some day… some day… this date will be as famous a day on your calendars as that "Cristoforo Colombo's Invasion of the New World Day". Just you wait and see. At least no Raccoons were mistreated or harmed here, which the same can not be said for the Indigenous Populace of the New World by the Spaniards and all of those other future interlopers.)

After breakfast, I stopped by Raccoon Island this morning to celebrate this event. Yesterday was the actual "Day of Discovery" anniversary for me, but, like with most other major National Holidays, this one is observed on the closest weekend so that everyone has a chance to enjoy it with their families and friends. (By the way, there are only 364 more shopping days until the next Raccoon Island Discovery Day. Start planning your gifts to me now.)




And Rocky said, "Doc, it’s only a peanut,
And I'll eat better, I’ll eat better, Doc, as soon as I am able…"




Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Avocado, Bell Pepper, & Jack Cheese Omelet  ~ 5.8; Bettys Christmas Coffee ~ 7.5; Raccoon Island ~ 8.5


1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

The "official" web-site of this company (I won't bother posting a hyperlink here; as a supporter of all things parklet, they do not deserve any extra publicity) has this word spelled as "Caffé"; however, as I have pointed out many times in the past, the correct Italian spelling (both the words for "Coffee" and for "Café") should be "Caffè", con l'accento grave. I can never understand why an actual Italian family-owned business continues to misspell this word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment