Sunday, January 4, 2015

Dottie’s True blue café


"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." ~ Leroy "Satchel" Paige



http://dotties.biz/


Place: Dottie's True blue café  
Location: 28 Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street; halfway between Market and Mission Streets)
Hours: open for breakfast Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Zucchini Cakes ~ topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara - fruit & potatoes; and a cuppa (with two half-cuppa refillas) the house Coffee (which I really should find out which brand/roast they offer one of these days) ~ in one of their brand new logo mugs (see above photo)




(The reason for today's EweToobular juxtaselections is simply because they are normally playing 30's and 40's style Jazz-Swing music at Dottie's ~ see/listen to video #1 ~ and the indigenous populace in Dottie's neighborhood always remind me of this the Beatles song ~ see/listen to video #2; I really love eating at Dottie's, but would hate to live in this neighborhood.)


Continuing the first weekend of the New Year with another one of "My Favourite" places for breakfast, I went back to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from October 12th, 2014) this morning. I even scored a primo parking spot right out front along 6th Street for a change. I got there about five to ten minutes before they opened this morning and I was very surprised to see only one other person waiting ahead of me for a change. There were only four or five other people that showed up before they opened the doors, too. And even after they had opened, there were probably less than another ten diners that showed up the entire time that I was there. This may have been the quietest and least full that I have ever seen at Dottie's (so, all you touristas keep this in mind: if you want to eat at Dottie's and not have to have any kind of a wait along colourful 6th Street, the first weekend of the New Year seems like your best chance to do so).

I was pretty sure that I was going to go with the Zucchini Cakes if it was on the weekly specials chalkboard (and I was pretty confident it would be on the chalkboard as it has been on the specials board very consistently whenever I have gone there throughout the year). The only other meal which may have swayed me to change my mind was if they had Black-eyed Peas Cakes on the menu ~ which they sometimes offer the first weekend of the New Year (it's a Southern good luck tradition thing). These are prepared very similarly to the way they make their Black Bean Cakes, with some form of legume and rice to make a sort of vegetarian sausage patty-looking thing. The beancakes are served with two eggs any style (I will usually go with Chicken eggs, over-medium), grilled chili-Cheddar cornbread, and homefries, topped with sour cream and pico de gallo. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), there was no decision needed as the Black-eyed Peas Cakes were not offered this year.




Dottie's also offer a wide range of very good, fresh baked goods/pastries to start the meal off. I usually only get to order one of these if I am dining with others; they are really large portions and one piece can serve two to three people easily as a breakfastary opener. I could go on to list all of the items that they were offering today, but sometimes it is just easier to say "see above photo". So… (see above photo)




I have had the Zucchini Cakes many times now and it is probably one of my favourite dishes that Dottie's offers (which, of course, makes it one of my favourite breakfast dishes). This is truly a great take on boring ol' Eggs Benedict. I won't bother extolling the virtues of this meal again; just take my word for it that it is always very tasty.

Today's side bowl of fruits: blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and a solitary cherry (which I saved for last after I had finished the rest of my meal ~ to kinda end my breakfast with "the cherry on top"). Here is a quick test to see how many of you have actually been paying attention over the years; Question: Which of the above fruits are technically botanical berries?[1]

I knew that Dottie's has a pretty decent selection of condimentary supplements, so I actually used some of their own Tabasco® Brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce (1500-2500 Scoville Units ~ I only know this as Tabasco® is now referencing it on their web-site; I would really like to see more companies reference the actual Scoville Heat Units on the bottle labels, though; I mean, who really cares what the "Nutritional Value" of a hot sauce is, anyway?) on one half of the pile of potatoes and some Frank's® RedHot® Chile 'n Lime (sorry, they don't list the Scoville Heat Units for this one on their web-site or on the bottle label) on the other half of the pile. 


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.6


1. AnswerOf course, that would be just the blueberries and watermelon

Extra credit points are given if you also said that the tomatoes in the spicy Marinara sauce are botanical berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment