Saturday, January 9, 2016

Dottie's True blue café




(No official web-site any longer. I am not sure if they will ever have one again before selling off the joint.)


Place: Dottie's True blue café
Location: 28 Sixth Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street, which is a little alley about halfway between Market and Mission Streets); 
phonicular contact: (415) 885-2767
Hours: open for breakfast Thursday through Monday at 7:30am
Meal: Zucchini Cakes ~ topped with poached eggs & spicy Marinara sauce - fruit & potatoes; and a cuppa (with two refillas) the house Coffee


Continuing my 2016 Pre-Spring Training workout of my Breakfastary Starting Rotation, I had to get back to Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from September 12th, 2015). Despite there having been a light drizzle (and earlier on a much heavier rain), there were already about ten to twelve people waiting in line ahead of me when I arrived at 7:20am this morning. I thought for sure the inclement weather would have kept any stupid touristas away until after 9:00am at least. I did make sure to say "Good morning!" (or "¡Buenos días!") to José (and not call him "Juan" in error, for a change) when I first entered the restaurant.




I got the cool (and kitchy) tiki-guys salt-and-pepper shakers on my table (which I heard Kurt call out as "Table 22", Mr. Heller, when my meal was to be brought out to me).

The other dishes that I was looking at on the weekend specials chalkboard were Sweet Potato, Caramelized Red Onion, & Gruyère Tart (eggs any style & fruit) or Sweet Potato Butterscotch French Toast (this one sounded verrrry interesting, Mr. Johnson; I had to ask how this was made and was told that they make it with their own homemade [well, restaurant-made] sweet potato bread, which is produced in their basement bakery; if I hadn't already had my mind made up to order the Zucchini Cakes if it was offered on today's weekend specials chalkboard, I would definitely have ordered this one).




In laconical terms, this is simply a great take on your typical Eggs Benedict. 

Today's fruit(s): blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, pineapple, and cantaloupe.[1]

Dottie's True blue café always has a pretty decent selection for condimentary supplementation. Knowing this, I don't bother schlepping any of my own hot sauces with me. I used a bit (well, a bit of a lot) of Tabasco® Brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce all over the potatoes.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Zucchini Cakes ~ 7.6

___________________

1. Okay. Let's see who has been paying attention here. Of these six fruits, only three are botanical berries*.

And, yes, those would be... blueberries, watermelon, and cantaloupe.

*(Extra added Cliff Clavinoid fact: Zucchini are also botanical berries.)



No comments:

Post a Comment