Saturday, January 23, 2016

Olympic Flame Cafe


Breakfast on Geary (έφερε πίσω), Part 7B



(No official web-site.)


Place: Olympic Flame Cafe
Location: 555 Geary Street (on the corner of Allée Shannon/Shannon Alley/Shannon Street[1], take your pick); phonicular contact: (415) 885-0984
Hours: open daily at 6:00am
Meal: Spinach & Feta Cheese Omelette ~ 3 eggs, served with country potatoes or tomatoes & toast; and a cuppa (and one refilla) whatever the house (diner, whatever) Coffee was


This is the kinda local neighborhoody place that doesn't really serve any fancy-shmancy food, but people will always come back to it because it's just downright good food. Well, that was my reason for returning to Olympic Flame Cafe (see previous 'blog-entry from March 25th, 2012). It appeared that there were many regulars that frequent the joint as well as some touristas that have discovered it (it is only two blocks down the street from Union Square and most of the downtown hotel-district) and have made a return visit, too. I also like the fact that they open up bright and early every day.

As best as I can tell, the Head Cook and Bottle Washer (and possibly the owner?) is an old Greek guy named Louie. (Is "Λουιέ" even a Greek name?!). My waitress/server-lady person today was Sasha (I didn't ask where she was from, though). The way those two communicated with each other was like "The Louie and Sasha Comedy Hour". At one point while Sasha was taking an order from one of the other diners at the counter, Louie kept interrupting her and asking what the order was; Sasha replied to him: "I'm not psychic!" (which sounded to me almost like "I'm not sidekick!"). "Ποιος είναι στην Πρώτη;"?!





As its name would suggest, this omelette was made with lots of spinach and Feta. (My mantra is always: "Everything's betta with Feta!") As much as I like spinach, I wonder what this omelette might taste like made with χόρτα (Greek for "greens"; usually dandelion greens or such) instead. I went with sourdough for my toast choice. 

It looked like Olympic Flame Cafe only had Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce on all the tables for condimentary supplementation. That didn't really matter because I had received just yesterday (which, coincidentally enough, happened to be the birthday of Wilbur Lincoln Scoville[2]) a seven-bottle Fiery Fury Hot Sauce Set from my mother in Florida. I used a little Dragon's Lair Extra Hot Cayenne & Habanero Hot Sauce on the omelette and a bit more 
Dragon Breath Garlic Hot Sauce on the potatoes (Thanks, Mom, for both!). I liked the flavour of both of these. However, neither one of these were uncomfortably picante (maybe a bit more than Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce, Original Red Sauce); the Dragon's Lair being the hotter of the two due to the habanero chillies.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

After breakfast, I saw one pair of Wild Parrots flying overhead while walking down Geary Street towards Union Square. Of course, I heard them cackling long before I looked up and saw them.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Spinach & Feta Cheese Omelette ~ 6.0; the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. I like to tell my niece, Shannon, that this street is named after her. I also like to tell my nephew, Cameron, that he also has a street named after him in San Francisco: "Dumas Street".

2. http://www.nndb.com/people/218/000101912/

No comments:

Post a Comment