Saturday, March 5, 2016

Mo'z Café




http://moz-cafe.com/


Place: Mo'z café
Location: 36 5th Street (on the corner of Stevenson Street)
Hours: open at 6:00am(???) every day of the week 
(I still have no idea what their actual hours are; their web-site does not state times anywhere)
Meal: Huevos Rancheros ~ two eggs scrambled with black bean chili, ranchero sauce, Cheddar cheese and sour cream, served with corn tortillas; and a cuppa whatever their house Coffee was




(Get it? Keb' Mo'... and "enchilada" is close enough to "huevos rancheros" for me.)


I went back to Mo'z café (see previous 'blog-entry from August 31st, 2014) for breakfast this morning.

There are still a few more good breakfastary ideas worth checking out. Ferinstance: Eggs Florentine (I wonder if they would let me substitute their ranchero sauce instead of the Hollandaise sauce; that would be perfect); several different crêpes (but I just had a crêpe last weekend for breakfast); and also, off a separate (smaller) chalkboard (under the name Mo'z Specials [I was disappointed that it wasn't called "Specialz"]), next to the cash register counter, Italian Scramble (eggs, onion, mushrooms, spinach, Italian sausage [which I could have always ottantasei-ed], topped with pesto sauce, served with fruit or salad [but I would probably have asked them to substitute hashbrowns]).




This was really a pretty simple dish, but their ranchero sauce is really very good, better than many salsas that are generally more watery/runny. This is the same salsa roja that was served with the Breakfast Burrito that I had on my first visit, and I really enjoyed its 
sabor (then and today). This version of huevos rancheros differed a bit from los huevos rancheros típicos. This was made with scrambled eggs instead of fried (or over-medium) eggs. The two corn tortillas had the Cheddar cheese melted between them. And it was served with black beans on the side instead of the standard frijoles refritos. I suppose that it could have used some fresh avocado, but, all in all, it was still very good. 

I liked their house Coffee, too; it was strong and dark. However, unlike my first visit there, they did not come around offering any refillas. (I put this down to their being very busy today, even at 7:00am on a rainy Saturday morning.)

Mo'z café had Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for condimentary supplementation. I also had brought a few of my own hot sauces with me, but after (re)tasting their excellent ranchero sauce, I did not bother ruining it in any way.

Pay It Forward Weekend… or bugger off! ~ Part VI[1]

This afternoon, before going to the eye exam that I had scheduled last weekend, I went back to Greenhouse Cafe for a mid-afternoon snack. I got another 12 oz cuppa Equator Coffees & Teas Mocha Java. I happened to notice a small display of mini-macarons[2] on the front counter and got one raspberry[3] mini-macaron and one pistachio[3] mini-macaron
The raspberry one was good, but the pistachio one was my favourite.

As the mini-macarons were only $1.00 each (they were only one or two bite-sized), it gave me a great idea for this year's Pay It Forward Weekend… or bugger off! I gave the counter-guy (by this, I mean the guy working the cash register; he was in no way reminiscent of Caitlyn Jenner) an extra $10.00 for nine more macarons and told him to also keep $1.00 for the crew. And, don't worry, the guy didn't pocket the entire tenner when I turned my back (which would go against all that Pay It Forward Weekend… or bugger off! stands for); I saw him set out nine macarons on the counter and heard him asking subsequent customers if they would like a free macaron. I am only sorry that I forgot to tell him to tell these customers that the macarons were compliments of Mr. XV.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Huevos Rancheros ~ 6.5; mini-macarons ~ 6.5-7.0

___________________

1. If you are wondering just what the heck Pay It Forward Weekend… or bugger off! is all about, you can read my explanation in this previous 'blog-entry:

http://breakfastatepiphany.blogspot.com/2012/03/boogaloos.html

R.I.P. Scott.

2. Not to be confused with a coconut macaroon, this is the French pastry-confection known as "macaron".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaron

3. Please note: raspberries are not technically botanical berries and pistachios are not technically botanical nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment