Sunday, June 5, 2016

Just For You bakery & cafe




http://www.justforyoucafe.com/


Place: Just For You bakery & cafe
Location: 732 22nd Street (between 3rd and Tennessee Streets)
Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am, Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am
Meal: Frittata of the Decade ~ a slow pan-fried Italian omelette with zucchini, mushrooms, onion, garlic, spinach, & tomato, topped with Provolone cheese[1] (served with home fries or grits, and your choice of homebaked white, whole wheat, or cinnamon-raisin toast, cornbread, scone, biscuits, English muffin or gluten-free toast); and a cuppa (and two refillas) of whatever the house Coffee may have been 



(Today's EweToobular juxtaselection is simply a reference to how Dogpatch is a new up-and-coming gentrificated neighborhood and that I got the same meal that I had there a few years back now.)


I had planned on getting back to Just For You 
bakery & cafe (see last 'blog-entry from May 25th, 2015) last weekend for a Memorial Day breakfast (this had been my routine for a few years prior), but I had a "vision problem" last Monday and "just couldn't see myself" driving all the way over to Dogpatch and back. I sucked it up and did so today, though.

("But, Brian, what's the big deal? Isn't this restaurant still in San Francisco proper?"

Well, yeah, but Dogpatch is about as far away from the foggy ol' Outer Richmond as you can get, and it took me about a half-hour [probably more] drive to get over there and the same amount of time getting back. I hate to drive almost as much as I hate to cook for myself.

If I could only afford a chauffeur, I would have him cook for me instead...)

This place is certainly a great breakfast destination. If it were closer (a lot!), I would definitely have it in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation. They offer many great breakfast (and, in the case of their weekend menu, "Brunch") ideas from which to choose. I was thinking about getting the Greek Scramble (3 eggs scrambled with Feta cheese, onion, spinach, tomato, and Kalamata olives) again, but I just had that one two visits back (not that there is ever anything wrong with a Feta-and-Kalamata olives choice). They make a great version of Huevos Rancheros (2 eggs any style on a tortilla, smothered in special sauce, black beans and melted Cheddar cheese; they offer this with a choice of "yer poison": Red meat sauce, Vegetarian red sauce, or Hatch, New Mexico green chili sauce [made with dead, decaying poultry stock, unfortunately]). They also offer a changing weekly (weekendly?) printed addition to the menu. Today there were five additional items on it; however, I suppose the only viable option for stupid vegetarians was Chicken Shiitake Omelet (three egg omelet stuffed with grilled chicken, shiitake mushrooms, cherry tomato, & Swiss Gruyère cheese; which I would have ordered less the offending foul fowl-stuff).




I have had this same frittata a few times there now and knew that it was a stella' choice, Mrs. Kowalski. This was made with lots of good zucchini-stuff in it; plus, the Provolone was melted nicely on top (probably with the aid of a salamander). I think that this meal could easily be re-named "Frittata of the Century" ~ not only because it it a very good frittata, but the same item has been on their menu since the last decade already.

For my side and toast choices, I went with home fries and cinnamon-raisin bread toast (they make all their own baked goods and breads, another big plus). However, another good combination (for those of you that are gluten-intolerant [or just have a dislike for wheat in general]) might have been grits and cornbread (which I heard someone else order after I did; oh, well... next time).

As for their Coffee, I am not sure which brand they are now serving. I don't think that they offer the good N'Arlins-style Coffee (which was made with roasted chicory) any longer. They did ask if I wanted "Dark or Light Roast", so I went with "Dark", of course. It was a nice, strong blenda whatever it was; I liked it well enough for three cuppas. I never got around to asking which specific brand it was, though. Oh, well... next time, too.

Just For You bakery & cafe really excels with its condimentary supplements. They offer the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [with four versions: Original Red Sauce, Chipotle Sauce, Green Jalapeño Sauce, and Habanero Sauce]; Cholula® Hot Sauce; and Tapatio® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce); plus, several other different brands of hot sauce. I used some of my own Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (as this was a breakfast in Dogpatch, I figured that made for the best condimentary juxtaselection).

So, I ended up getting back to Just For You bakery & cafe just a week late (which beats "weak Coffee", any day).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Frittata of the Century ~ 7.5

___________________

1. Their on-line menu still shows the cheese variety as "Cheddar" on the "Weekend 'Brunch' Menu" section; however, they changed the cheese to Provolone several years back at the suggestion of some Nosey Parker 'blog-ster*. Of course, with the other ingredients in the frittata (and seeing as "frittata" is "a slow pan-fried Italian omelette"), Provolone or Fontina make much more sense as a complementary fermented curd choice, anyway. 

Well, I'm afraid we don't get much call for Cheddar 'round Dogpatch, Mr. Wensleydale.

*(And I know for a fact that I was the responsible [or irresponsible] party because the owner, Adrienne 
[Yo, Adrienne!], had replied to me on this silly li'l 'blog-spot about my suggestion when I did so.)

No comments:

Post a Comment