Monday, May 25, 2015

Just For You bakery & cafe


"And another thing. Don't ever kid yourself about loving some one. It is just that most people are not lucky enough to ever have it. What you have with Maria, whether it lasts just through today and a part of tomorrow, or whether it lasts for a long life is the most important thing that can happen to a human being. There will always be people who say it does not exist because they cannot have it, but I tell you it is true and that you have it and that you are lucky even if you die tomorrow." 
~ Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

(Whoever said ol' Ernie wasn't a romantic?! As for the answer to the title: "it tolls for thee".)



http://www.justforyoucafe.com/


Place: Just For You bakery & cafe
Location: 732 22nd Street (between 3rd and Tennessee Streets)
Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am, Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am
Meal: Bleu Scramble ~ 3 eggs scrambled with Bleu cheese, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, spinach, and red peppers, served with home fries or grits, and your choice of homebaked (well, restaurant/bakery-baked) white, whole wheat, or cinnamon-raisin toast, cornbread, scone, biscuits, English muffin, or gluten-free toast; and a cuppa (and one-and-a-half refillas) Community Coffee® (at least that was what they used to serve there the last time I asked; I forgot to ask if that was still their house Coffee and which blend/roast they serve)

http://www.communitycoffee.com/





(There is no real EweToobular juxtaselection between these songs and the restaurant. I had just posted two Wild Colonials songs on Saturday and felt like doing another. 

These are two versions of the same song; I actually prefer the instrumental version. It was used in the 1995 movie "The Last Supper". Which, of course, starred "Survivor" alumnus Jonathan Penner… as well as some other lesser-known actors and actresses like Cameron Diaz, Bill Paxton, Jason Alexander[1], and others.)


It's been about (well, exactly) two years since I last ate at Just For You bakery & cafe (see last 'blog-entry from May 27th, 2013). I figured it was about time for another visit. Even if they do have a stupid parklet out front.




At least it is just a one car-length wastelet. As far as these parking obstructions go, it's a nice (little) one, at least. There are two wrought iron benches on either end and one small, round table for two. I don't know if there is actual table-service out there, but it could be a nice spot to sit in while waiting for a table during a busy day (today was only about 75% full inside that early on a holiday morning, but I have seen a line out the door on Saturday mornings).

In addition to a very decent standard/weekend breakfastary menu, they have a "Daily Special' menu that can change seasonally. Today it included: Special Scramble! (three egg scramble with Longanisa sausage, white onion, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, & Swiss cheese; I could have always ordered that without the sausage stuff ~ Longanisa or not; by the way, they added the "!" to all of these specials!); Belgian Waffle! (Belgian waffle topped with a homemade chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries, & powdered sugar); or Smoked Turkey Benedict! (turkey & sautéed spinach topped with poached eggs & Hollandaise sauce over choice of bread; this would not be a very good choice for any stupid vegetarian-type persons or anyone that is trying to cut down on their daily intake of smoking turkeys[2]).




This scramble dish had lots of Bleu cheese (which is either a good or bad thing, depending on your take of this stinky, moldy cheese; I like it, of course). This was kind of a strange combination, but it all worked for me… in a strange way. The artichoke hearts were the brined, not marinated, version, which is always the best kind for any scrambles or omelettes. 

I went with homefries instead of "greets" as my side choice . I also chose cinnamon-raisin toast as my homebaked (restaurant/bakery-baked, whatever) bread choice (and it was a nice extra-thick slice, too; I was asked if I wanted one slice or two and was glad that I only got the one). After I had already eaten about half of my meal, I overheard one of the waiter/server-person guys say that they offer two different types of scones: apple or cherry… next time I am getting one of those for sure (if I remember, that is).

Not everyone likes their Coffee à la N'Arlins (where it is made with roasted chicory added), but I rather like it, and usually only get it at N'Arlins-style joints, anyway.

Just For You offers a fine array of condimentary supplementation. In addition to the Standard San Francisco Triumvirate of Hot Sauces (that would be: Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce [Original Red Sauce], Cholula® Hot Sauce, and Tapatio® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce), they always have a few other interesting choices. Today there were: Tabasco® Brand Green Pepper Sauce (made with green jalapeños); Crystal® Louisiana's Pure Hot Sauce; Huy Fong Foods, Inc. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce; and Chef Michael's "Ruin Your Day" World's Hottest Pepper Sauce. I used just a bit of the "Ruin Your Day" on a small area of the pile of homefries. While they may claim that this is the "World's Hottest Pepper Sauce", that is really a bit of a stretch. Albeit, this is very spicy, but I have had several others that are much hotter still (and may or may not have killed an innocent, unsuspecting Korean waiter-dude). This is one of those hot sauces that is mostly all heat and not as much flavour; this is due to one of the main ingredients being capsaicin extract. I also used some of my own The Wiltshire Chilli Farm Mango hot chilli sauce on most of the rest of the homefries and some Hell Mouth on the entire scramble mess. (Thanks again for both of those and the other two bottles that I had already used up, Cindy & Greg! I am going to have to finally "retire" these two, even though they are both only at half-mast. The label stated to use within 6-8 weeks once opened, and I have more than doubled that expiry date already.)

File under: "It's a small World… but I wouldn't want to paint it."

As today is Memorial Day, I happened to be wearing my one article of clothing that I knew had an American Flag somewhat on it (I say "somewhat", as the design is on a five-petal White Rose of York and has half the Union Jack and half the Stars and Stripes on the petals ~ I will let you determine which flag goes with which country ~ with a White Rose of York at its center). This happens to be an RAF Menwith Hill/Harrogate[3] sweatshirt. It was a gift/souvenir that I had received on one of my many trips to North Yorkshire over the years (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!). Well, the manager-guy saw it and said that he used to work on the base; he had managed the Officers Club for several years there. 

A Side Sojourn to Japanese Tea Garden, Golden Gate Park



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Tea_Garden_(San_Francisco,_California)


On my way home after breakfast, I decided to stop by Golden Gate Park and walk off breakfast a bit. I was originally planning on just traipsing around San Francisco Botanical Garden (formerly known as Strybing Arboretum), but noticed that the Japanese Tea Garden was also just opening up for the morning and I hardly ever traipse through there. (It's free on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before 10:00am; whereas, San Francisco Botanical Garden is free all day long every day to San Francisco residents, and I can always traipse my heart out there on any other weekend.)



(This was my million dollar view ~ well, $7.00 view, before taxes ~ from my seat in the tearoom area.)


No trip to the Japanese Tea Garden should be complete without stopping for some actual tea (Hey, it's in the name, fercryinoutloud!), so I had a cuppa jasmine tea (for the uninformed ~ or those just living in Omaha ~ "a green tea scented with jasmine flowers and boasts a slightly sweet flavor. Jasmine tea originated in China, but is now enjoyed by tea lovers throughout the world.") and a dorayaki[4] (which they describe as "a pancake like pastry, filled with red bean paste"). 



(Sharon, check out that ceramic mug design. Nice, huh?)




I am not sure, but this building is probably some kinda Japanese "weather" station. (I would expect that only ex-Russkij 208's might get that dumb joke… or maybe not even them.)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating: Bleu Scramble ~ 6.3; Jasmine Tea ~ 7.0; Dorayaki ~ 6.2; Japanese Tea Garden ~ 8.0


________________

1. Here is a fun, little-known Cliff Clavinistic fact: Jonathan Penner's wife and Jason Alexander's wife are sisters. 

2. "Abruptly giving up an addiction to cold turkey sandwiches is referred to in some circles as going cigarette." ~ the Library of Amazing Facts

3. While this little "Spy-base" is well-known and popular amongst the Liberal Leftist protestors of Great Britianland, not many 'mericans have ever heard of the town of Harrogate, let alone RAF Menwith Hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Menwith_Hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrogate

4. For the general uniformed, or just local Omahaians:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorayaki


No comments:

Post a Comment