Sunday, December 4, 2016

heartbaker


Sometimes you eat bare... and sometimes you dine formally.



http://www.theheartbaker.com/


Place: heartbaker
Location: 1408 Clement Street (at 15th Avenue)
Hours: open Tuesday through Friday at 8:00am, Saturday and Sunday at 9:00am for "Brunch"
Meal: Heartbaker Kale Salad (with an added poached egg on top) ~ Brussel [ sic ] sprouts, slivered almonds, Parmesan, and special house vinaigrette; a Cranberry Creamcheese Cake (in mini-Bundt form); and a French pressa Sightglass Coffee Owl's Howl (Espresso)

https://sightglasscoffee.com/products/owls-howl


(Sorry. I couldn't figure out any good EweToobular juxtaselections for the word "baker".)


I am lucky that there are several very good bakery-type joints in my neighborhood (upwards of six or so). That some of them also serve breakfastary (well, sometimes "Brunch") items is even better. With this in mind, I went back to heartbaker (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, December 7th, 2015) for another very fine breakfast ("Brunch", whatever).

This morning I sat at a cool little two-seater table in the front window alcove (it was nice because the Sun was shining on my back warming me up the whole time). I thought about sitting outside where there are two sidewalk tables, but it was still a bit chilly early in the morning when they first opened up for business. That is okay, that just left the outside tables for use by any dog-parents. Those tables are very dog-friendly as was seen this morning with one cute little Dachshund guy at one table (he even had his own portable dog-bed and blanket with him) and a big ol' Black Lab at the other table.

This place may just be a "local bakery kinda joint", but they really do offer some other great ideas for breakfast ("Brunch", whatever). Ferinstance: Omelette of the Day ~ bell peppers, artichokes, olives, zucchini, Feta chz [ sic ] (rosemary potatoes or kale salad); "Veggie" (I am adding the quotation marks there to emphasize my disdain for the odious ~ or is that "oddie"? ~ term) Quiche du Jour ~ tomato, jalapeño, red onion, & Mozzarella (served with rosemary potatoes or kale salad); or Huevos Rancheros ~ two eggs your choice, with black beans, blistered Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips, and crema.




They also have a great range of pastries (sweet and savoury). I was debating on getting one of these instead of (or in addition to) what I had already ordered: Pear Dumpling (this looked more like a turnover-thing to me, but they can call it whatever they like... just as long as it's not called a "Veggie" Dumpling); Blackberry-Lemon Galette; or Pumpkin Bread Pudding (which comes with some kinda warm caramel sauce, but I forgot to write down what exactly it was). The cranberry mini-Bundt thing was extra moist due to the creamcheese in the mixture, and I enjoyed it a lot. If I still had room after the rest of the meal, I might have gone for another (or two) of the other choices.

I like that they now offer both a Dark Roast (in this case an Espresso) and a Medium Roast that can be served either pour-over style or via French press.




What can I say? I love kale, and this was made with lots of kale... plus, it had a good amount of roasted Brussels sprouts in it! I mainly went with a poached egg on top because I felt it would go best with this salad; plus, I couldn't order a poached egg at yesterday's diner.

heartbaker has just Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for use as a condimentary supplement. I had brought a few of my own hot sauces with me and I used some Hot Licks® Serrano Hot Sauce on top of the poached egg. That really seemed to work nicely as an extra salad dressing when mixed in with the egg yolk.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Heartbaker Kale Salad ~ 7.0 (yeah, this might seem excessive for "just a kale salad", but it had roasted Brussels sprouts in it, too, dammit!);
Cranberry Creamcheese Cake ~ 6.8;
Sightglass Coffee Owl's Howl ~ 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment