Saturday, December 24, 2016

the Dipsea Café


A(nother) breakfastary roadtrip:
Mill Valley, Marin County, CA



http://www.dipseacafe.com/


Place: the Dipsea Café
Location: 200 Shorline Highway, Mill Valley, CA
Hours: open for breakfast at 7:00am every day 
(but probably not tomorrow morning)
Meal: Vegetarian[1a] Frittata[1b] ~  mushrooms[1c], tomatoes[1d], onions[1e], spinach[1f], zucchini[1g], and Jack cheese, served with home fries, homemade (well, restaurant-made) buttermilk biscuit or toast and homemade (again, restaurant-made) jam; a side of Tzatziki (which really isn't offered on their breakfast menu, but I ordered some, anyway); and a glassa Homemade (Do I really need to say it?) Lemonade[1h]


Deck us all with Boston Charlie,
Walla Walla Wash., and Kalamazoo!



Because the traditional Day-After Festivus meal should be Greek in origin[2], I headed north this morning across the Golden Gate Bridge back to the Dipsea Café 
(see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, March 30th, 2014; it seems like I get there every second year now, but this place really deserves more-often return trips) for breakfast.

Some other good ideas (and more-often reasons for a return trip): 
Mill Valley Omelette ~ egg whites, mushrooms, avocado & Feta (it's a strange-sounding combination, but I am game for anything with Feta and avocado);
Pear-Walnut Omelette ~  with Brie cheese and balsamic onions (another strange-sounding combination, but I am also game for strange-sounding foodstuff); 
or the authentically Hellenic Huevos Rancheros ~ two poached eggs on a fried corn tortilla with red and green salsa, Jack cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream, served with black beans, chips and steamed tortillas. 




This was a very decent version of a frittata. I had asked to have Feta substituted for the Jack cheese, but they must have forgotten to do this. This was no biggie, I just think this would have been much betta (like most everything) with Feta. I went with the homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) buttermilk biscuit as my bread-option, because even I know how to make "homemade" toast. This was deceptively a lot of food. At first glance it was misleading and I thought that I would have no problem finishing it all. As it was, with the homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) buttermilk biscuit and extra large portion of potatoes, I could barley clean my plate. The frittata itself was no slouch (I prefer my frittatas made with chicken eggs and not slouch eggs, anyway). I also liked that they went with the moniker of "Vegetarian (Frittata)" versus the ubiquitously odious name of "Veggie".

As for the side of Tzatziki, I made sure to use it all wisely on top of the potatoes.

For condimentary supplementation, the Dipsea Café 
offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce). I just used a little of my own El Yucateco® XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero on top of the frittata. One of the Mexican waiter-server-guys even complimented me on that choice; he said that he uses that same brand at home himself.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Vegetarian Frittata ~ 6.7 (this mighta even been a 7.0 if they had remembered the Feta);
Τζατζικι ~ 7.5

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day, νούμερο ένα:

Here are the corresponding words in Greek:

a) χορτοφάγος (pronounced: "hortoFAgose") or φυτοφάγος (pronounced: "feetoFAgose"; I am not really sure of the distinction between the two, though)

b) ομελέτα (pronounced: "omeLEta" ~ see, this cunning linguist stuff ain't always επιστήμη πυραύλων)

c) μανιτάρια (pronounced: "maniTAria")

d) ντομάτες (pronounced: "toMAtess" ~ and sometimes this cunning linguist stuff ain't even εγχείριση εγκεφάλου)

e) κρεμμύδια (pronounced: "kremMEEthia")

f) σπανάκι (pronounced: "spaNAkee")

g) κολοκύθι (pronounced: "koloKEEthee)

h) λεμονάδα (pronounced: "lemoNAtha" ~ simples)

2. If you don't believe me, just check out the Official Festivus Handbook that is provided annually by the Human Fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment