Saturday, December 17, 2016

Sears Fine Food




http://www.searsfinefood.com/


Place: Sears Fine Food ~ World Famous since 1938
Location: 439 Powell Street (between Post and Sutter Streets, just a half-block up from Union Square)
Hours: open daily at 6:30am
Meal: Our (well, "Their") World Famous (their claim, not mine) 18 Swedish Pancakes[1] ~ served with warm syrup and country (they don't state if the country is Sweden or not, though) fresh whipped butter, and with lingonberries[2] added; and a glassa milk[3] (they had a sign stating that their orange[4] juice was "squeezed to order", but I am not sure if there is an actual female bovine in the kitchen for them to do the same for a glassa milk)




(They were playing a few old Louis Prima songs on the house [restaurant, whatever] stereo this morning and next week is Christmas, so I will leave the Sherlock Holmes-ing up to you to figure out any EweToobular juxtaselection. I am pretty sure ol' King Louie is not of Swedish descent, though.)


Well, I didn't actually have to wait until the year 2020, Mr. Zager and Mr. Evans, to find my way back to 
Sears Fine Food (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, December 12th, 2015).

Even though I had headed over there with the completely premeditated idea of ordering the
18 Swedish Virgins... er, Pancakes, there are still a few other good ideas from which to choose off their breakfast menu. Exempli gratia: Eggs Florentine (two poached eggs, English muffin, fresh spinach, Hollandaise sauce, hash browns) or Spinach Omelet (chopped spinach, sautéed onion, cream cheese, and fine herbs; served with hash brown potatoes and buttered toast and jelly).





I liked these pancakes and eighteen seems to be about right for my appetite. However, if you ask me (and even if you don't ask me, this is my 'd*mn 'blog-thing, so I am telling you anyway), they are a bit stingy with the lingonberry jam; the small ramekin that they provided was barely enough to cover four of the six stacks of three pancakes. After already consuming a few of the stacks, I had a brilliant idea. There was a slice of orange on my plate as a garnish, so I squeezed some of the juice on top of some of the lingonberry jam and this actually turned out to be a very tasty combination. Ocean Spray® ain't got nuthin' on me! 

I had given a thought to ordering a side of potatoes (they offer both hashbrowns and homefries), but it probably would have been a bit of an overkill for my normal appetite.

For condimentary supplementation, Sears Fine Food has only Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce). I did not bother bringing (nor need) any of my own hot sauces with me this morning because I was fully planning on ordering the pancakes with lingonberries all along.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating
Our World Famous 18 Swedish Pancakes ~ 6.3 (plain), 6.5 (with lingonberry jam), and 6.6 (with lingonberry jam and additional fresh squeezins of orange)

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer ett:

"Pancake" in Swedish is "pannkaka".

(See? Sometimes this stuff ain't raket vetenskap.)

2. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer två:

"Lingonberry" in Swedish is "lingon".

(Annnnnd... sometimes this stuff ain't exactly hjärnoperation, either.)

Like cranberries, blueberries, and huckleberries, Mr. Finn, lingonberries are a true botanical berry. All four of these berries are in the same botanical Genus, too. I find that lingonberries have a very similar tart-sweet flavour to cranberries; lingonberries are just a little smaller in size.

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/162/

3. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer tre:

"Milk" in Swedish is "mjölk". 

4. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day, nummer fyra:

"Orange" in Swedish is "orange" or "apelsin".

No comments:

Post a Comment