Sunday, April 2, 2017

Mama♥s on Washington Square




http://www.mamas-sf.com/


Place: Mamas on Washington Square

Location: 1701 Stockton Street (on the corner of Filbert Street)

Hours: open Tuesday through Sunday at 8:00am

Meal: Kugelhopf[1] (French toast) ~ house baked brioche bread with golden raisins, cinnamon, dates, and sliced almonds; a side of grilled potatoes (aka homefries); a large glassa orange juice (I had actually planned on ordering a glassa grapefruit juice instead; however, after waiting to order for over a half-hour, I drew a blank and panicked and ordered the first juice that came to mind; Macht nichts!); and, afterward, a cuppa doppio Espresso at Caffè Trieste

http://coffee.caffetrieste.com/




(I love the mosaic-tiled tables at Caffè Trieste. I was still way too full from breakfast to even think about getting my Coffee with either an accompanying cannolo o bombolone.)




(The reason for today's EweToobular song? Simples! Everyone knows that Adam Duritz is a big fan of Austrian Bundt cakes.)


My original plan was to get up to North Beach last Sunday morning, but due to unforeseen circumstances (or foreseen d*mn Half-Marathons), I just waited until this morning to head back to Mamaon Washington Square (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 29th, 2016).  And, yes, I could have gone to Mamas yesterday morning for breakfast, but I just find it much easier to locate a good parking spot nearby early on a Sunday morning. As it was, I quickly found a good spot only two blocks away (in front of some playground named after Dom DiMaggio's older brother, who may or may not have played MLB, too). I probably should have driven around the block first, as there were several open/legal spots available right on Washington Square Park. (How do you say "D'oh!" in German?[2])

It really didn't matter much, as I had arrived there early enough to be the second "group" to be waiting in line. What kinda stupid touristas have nothing better to do on a Sunday morning than to get up so early that they are standing around in line at 7:25am?! Of course, the line quickly formed behind us and grew to a half-block length even before the doors were opened for business. Waiting directly behind me in line were a young German couple with their toddler daughter, named Sofie. I must have regaled them (read: bored them silly) with all five German sentences that I still remember.[3] 
I tried talking them into also getting the Kugelhopf, but something must have been lost in translation.[4] (I do wonder what Sofie's choice for Frühstück ended up being.)




(Sure, this table-top may not be as cool as the one at Caffè Trieste, but I still liked the design.)




This was served as three extra-thick slices (well, triangles) of egg-battered Kugelhopf. I have had this dish (at least once) before, but it had been some time since I last tried it. While this may not have been quite as excellent as their Apple Pan Dore that I had on my last visit there, it was all still very good on its ownsome. I normally order one of their MOmelettes whenever I eat there, so this was another nice (sweet) change of pace.

Mamas offers just Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce for condimentary supplements. I ended up using some of my own Pepper Palace Chocolate Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Greg & Cindy!) on the homefries. (Despite the name "Chocolate" in my hot sauce of choice, I dared not mess with the Kugelhupf in any way, lest I might find myself on a slow train to Auschwitz.)

Lil Mamas Update (Downdate?)

I spoke with the owner/manager-guy once again about when they might be opening their second location in North Beach. He told me that, unfortunately, funding did not go through (among other reasons for the delay). The location at which they were originally planning to open is no longer available (and already has a brand new Cole Hardware in that spot which just opened last month). He told me that they are still looking for an alternate space somewhere also in North Beach. 

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

While waiting in line, I saw a fairly good sized pandemonium of about twenty to thirty of the 
Wild Parrots flying westward (Ho!) from Telegraph Hill ~ towards probably Fisherman's Wharf for the morning/afternoon. I pointed up at them and explained to Sofie's parents (well, as best as I could) about our local Papageienpopulation.


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Kugelhopf ~ 7.45;
the Wild Parrots of San Francisco ~ 8.5

___________________

1. Was ist das?

Now I could go into a whole, long "stupid, useless cunning linguist/pseudo-culinaristic pointer of the day" here, but I figured it is just so much easier to steal... er... borrow the information from the friendly folks at WikipediA (seeing as they have already stolen... er... borrowed most of the information from other Intro-Net sources themselves):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gugelhupf

Besides, my explanation was probably going to go with a translation of "the bouncing bonnet" or such.

2. I am not entirely certain, but I think that the Simpsonian exclamation "D'oh!" auf Deutsch might be "T'eig!"

(I am sure that there are all of about two ex-Herm ops from Marienfelde that might get that crummy* joke.)

*(Bakery-pun totally intended.)

3. They must still be trying to figure out just why eine dumme Amerikanishe Armee-type person was asking them if his "nose was on fire" or why their "duck has rabies".

(Thanks go to Lowell Skelton for teaching me both of those extra-helpful phrases when I first lived in Berlin-town.)

4. I asked them what they called "French toast" in German. Was it called "Französischer Toast"? But they said they just called it "French toast". T'eig!

No comments:

Post a Comment