Sunday, June 18, 2017

the Fat Lady


A return breakfastary roadtrip:
(Historic) Jack London Square, Oakland, CA
(via "Planes [well, Fairy-boats[1]], Trains [well, BART/Subways] and Automobiles [well, MUNI Buses, but still...]")





"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot." 
~ John Griffith "Jack" London 
(born John Griffith Chaney)



http://www.thefatladyrestaurant.com/


Place: the Fat Lady

Location: 201 Washington Street (on the corner of 2nd Street), (Historic) Jack London Square, Oakland, CA

Hours: open for "Brunch" Saturday and Sunday at 9:00am

Meal: Roasted Asparagus Omelet ~ fresh spinach, applewood smoked bacon (which I [apple]wood always have nixed, of course), Mozzarella, & roasted asparagus, served with homestyle potatoes or mixed greens and ciabatta toast; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) (the very local ~ as in roasted/produced just four blocks away) Mr. Espresso® Coffee (I didn't ask which roast/blend, though)

https://mrespresso.com/




(A Happy Father's Day! to each and every Leader of the Band out there.)


Via a number of public transportation conveyances 
(I was too lazy to actually drive all the way over to Oakland this morning myself), I found my way back to the Fat Lady (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, May 24th, 2015). I would have taken the Fairy-boat to Jack London Square from the Fairy Plaza in San Francisco, but the first morning Fairy-boat on the weekends does not depart until 9:45am (arriving at 10:20am), which is just a bit late for my early morning tastes. As it was, I did complete my triumvirate of trusty transportation and took the Fairy-boat back from Jack London Square to the Fairy Building after breakfast ("Brunch", whatever).

I sat inside this morning as it was air-conditioned and the weather outside was starting to warm-up exceedingly already for the morning. I know that I probably shoulda sat outside at one of the seven or eight sidewalk tables; I noticed that they were all still in the shade even after I had finished eating.

The next time I get back there (which hopefully is not another two years wait) I will have to try one of the following:
Greco/Roman Benedict (herb roasted roma tomatoes, fresh basil, Feta, drizzle of EVO on ciabatta);
Greek Omelet (Feta cheese, fresh herbs, spinach, & tomatoes);
or (if I am in a sweet kinda mood)
Grand Marnier French Toast (cinnamon brioche bread, fresh berries, pure maple syrup, & powdered sugar; it doesn't state it anywhere in the menu, but I hope it also includes some Grand Marnier® in it, too).





I like that every breakfast ("Brunch", whatever) starts with a complimentary (and complementary) plate of mini-baked goods. These included four various mini-muffins, a triangle of cornbread, and a slice of fruitcake. I can not be sure (I didn't feel like bothering my friendly and attentive waitress/server lady-person one more time on the extreme minutiae of my pondering), but one of the mini-muffins (possibly some kinda spice muffin) may very well have had some cardamom in it; which is always a great thing in my book. It's funny, I noticed that they brought out the same amount of items whether there was just one solo idiot or a table full of idiots; I am sure that you can always request additional items if needed.

One thing that was not provided, like on my last visit, was some crayons[2] and a paper place-mat upon which I could scribble/doodle. I made sure to voice my concerns to my friendly and attentive waitress/server lady-person. (She actually told me that they normally only provided those at Lunch or Dinner for the kids.)




While this may not have been any Farro & Beet Hash extraordinary finding, this omelette was more than worth the hour-plus trip over (and the hour-plus return trip home, too). This one was all about the roasted asparagus. And I was very pleased to see that there were at least five or six spears/stalks represented inside the omelette, too.

For condimentary supplements, the Fat Lady still offers Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce ~ Original Red Sauce and El Yucateco® XXXtra Hot Sauce Salsa Kutbil-ik® de Chile Habanero.  I used some of my own (I had only packed two different bottles this morning because I really didn't feel like schlepping even another 5 oz bottle with me in my backpack) Florida Gold Premium Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Kerry! And with today's dosage, that kills another brave soldier from my collection... finally.) on the potatoes and some Hot Licks® Serrano Hot Sauce (Thanks, Brian! This bottle has only juuuust about reached its half-life, though.) on top of the omelette.


Up next:

Back to Mo'z Café to check out their brand newest digs (which happens to be right along my street, too)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Roasted Asparagus Omelet ~ 6.9;
a beautiful (almost) Summer morning in scenic (Historic) Jack London Square ~ 8.2

___________________

1. Yes, we in San Francisco have our own designated Navy.

2. How cool is it that both the words crayonand rainbow have the perfect amount of letters for which the colour spectrum can be completely used, Mr. Roy G. Biv?

No comments:

Post a Comment