Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mo'z café




http://moz-cafe.com/


Place: Mo'z café

Location: 5 Masonic Avenue 
(on the corner of Geary Boulevard)

Hours: open every day at 7:00am

Meal: Eggs Florentine ~ two poached eggs and spinach on an English muffin, topped with Hollandaise sauce, served with fruit or house potatoes; and a mugga Coffee ~ Mo'z special blend


Mo'z café (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, February 11th, 2017) has opened a brand-new (as in only open since last month now) location, which is basically in my neighborhood (or at least straight down Geary Boulevard about forty blocks from me). I have been passing by it on my way to work every morning and have been meaning to check out Mo'z newest restaurant/crêperie. I spoke briefly with Mo[1] himself this morning (he works the cash register, takes orders, prepares any Coffee drinks, and is making sure this newest endeavour is running smoothly), and he told me that in addition to his original location downtown on 5th Street, he also has one other location in Daly City (near-enough Serramonte Center). It looks like a mini-roadtrip might be in store for that spot one of these days, too.

Mo'z café is in the location that previously housed 
the Corner Storethe Corner Store lasted less than five years in business there. It seems like it would be a great spot for a restaurant, but I think that the Corner Store was trying for a much more upscaley atmosphere, but the neighborhood just ain't that gentrified, Bobbie. I am sure that with the fare now being served, Mo'z café will last much longer. I am glad that they kept the old covered sidewalk patio cafe area from before. (I actually sat inside this morning because it was pretty grey and overcast, but it's always nice to have that option in better weather.)

Mo'z café has also expanded their menu at this location and there are now several other good breakfastary ideas from which to choose: 
(offa the Savory Crepes section)
The Corner Crepe ~ Cheddar cheese, onion, tomato, Greek olives, roasted red bell peppers, pesto, Feta, and pine nuts (this might have to be my choice on my next visit);
5 Masonic ~ Mozzarella, Cheddar cheese, onion, tomato, mushroom, spinach, walnuts, cottage cheese (which I would have to have omitted), and Marinara sauce;
(offa the Omelettes section)
Amore Omelette ~ avocado, black bean chili, salsa, Cheddar cheese, and sour cream ("Amore"? I think something must have been lost in translation from Arabic-to-Mexican-to-English);
Romano Omelette ~ spinach, Greek olives, and Feta ("Romano"? I think something must also have lost its way in the translation from Arabic-to-Greek-to-English);
or
(offa the Breakfast section)
Belgian Waffle ~ with strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar, and side of syrup (if I ever order this dish, I will definitely have to get a side of either hashbrowns or house potatoes to go with it).




"But, Brian, that don't look none like any Hollandaisey sauce that I ever done seen!"

Welllll... I had this great idea. I knew how good Mo'z Ranchero sauce is and I asked if I could have it substituted in place of the standard sauce. This really turned out to be a great idea ~ if I do say so myself (and, self, I do say so). I think this one is good enough to be added to Mo'z standard menu and should now be called Huevos Benedicto (perhaps adding some queso fresco on top to complete the deal).

"But, Brian, ain't Mo an Ay-rab? What does he know any about a decent Ranchero sauce?"

First off, Mo employs mostly Mexican cooks/chefs and I am sure that they know a thing or dos about auténtica salsa ranchera; secondly, what's with all the d*mn third-degree questions this morning?!

I also like how they offer a choice of either hashbrowns OR house potatoes now (they only serve hashbrowns at their 5th Street location... and plain ol' "fruit" is never really a viable choice for me when real potato side dishes are at stake). I opted for the house potatoes (well, restaurant potatoes, but still...) and these were just as good as their hashbrowns.

Mo told me that he has his own special blenda Coffee that is made up/roasted for him from three different kinds of beans. The cuppa Coffee came in an absolutely HUGE mug (which was easily 1-1/2 normal cuppas in size), so I did not even need to ask for a refilla for a change. 

Mo'z café has for use as condimentary supplementation Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (both Original Red Sauce and Green Jalapeño Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce
I used some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters 
XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on the potatoes only (leaving Mo'z own already tasty Ranchero sauce unmessed-with on the eggs).


Up next:

Back to heartbaker


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Huevos Benedicto ~ 6.9;
Mo'z special blend Coffee ~ 7.0

___________________

1. I finally asked him, and his full name is Mohamad (or Mohamed or Mohammad or Mohammed... I didn't ask how he spells his name, though).

No comments:

Post a Comment