Thursday, June 1, 2017

Riverside Cafe


Wareham, MA
(Thursday, 05/25/2017) 


(Ooops! I missed a photo of the normal restaurant-front this morning. Well, take my word for it, it looked the same as it did five days prior. The morning was a bit rainy, anyway.)

(No official web-site.)


Place: Riverside Cafe

Location: 189 Main Street, Wareham, MA;
phonicular contact: (508) 295-2050

Hours: open daily at 6:00am

Meal(s): (me) Florentine Omelet ~ spinach, tomatoes (or mushrooms), and Mozzarella cheese, served with homefries or fruit and toast; (Sean) River Rat Omelet ~ ground beef, onions, American cheese & topped with ketchup, mustard & pickles, served with homefries or fruit and toast; and to drink (both me and Sean) cuppas New England® Coffee S'mores

http://www.newenglandcoffee.com/


I gave Sean the option of either returning back to Persy's Place (we could probably go there every day for a month and not make a dent in their breakfast menu); however, he made the decision that we should return to Riverside Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Tuesday, May 30th, 2017), which really wasn't a bad choice either.





I liked this omelette, just not as much as I liked my previous Scrambler there. I went with the tomatoes over the or mushrooms (which I felt went better with spinach and Mozzarella cheese) and, once again, chose the marble rye for my toast option (ya old bag!). Of course, I chose homefries over plain ol' fruit (like any sane person with those choices would have done) for my side dish.

Sean's meal was as disgusting (read: way cool) as it sounded and looked (sadly, I don't think it actually contained any aquatic rodents in it, though). If I was a meatetarian, this would have been my first choice and go-to meal for subsequent visits, too. What diabolical culinary genius thought of putting ketchup and mustard (and just the plain ol' yellow kind) on top of an omelette or Scrambler? Sean had asked for this meal as a "Scrambler", but they made it as an omelette by mistake. He liked that this was made with bread-and-butter pickles[1]. Sean went with white bread toast and the (sane choice of) homefries, too.

As for the S'mores-flavoured Coffee... yeah, it was as disgusting (again, read: way cool) as it sounded. The only thing I could think of that would have made it even disgustinger (read: way cooler) would have been if they served it with a large scoop of Marshmallow fluff® floating on top.

For condimentary supplements, Riverside Cafe still had Frank's RedHot® ~ Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, "Louisiana" Brand The Perfect Hot Sauce ~ The Original, and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. Once again, I used some of the Frank's® on the potatoes, and I think Sean did, too.


Up next:

Breakfast in Somerville on the way to Logan Airport 
(on my way back Westward, Ho'!)


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Florentine Omelet ~ 6.5;
River Rat Omelet ~ 6.4 (I think Sean deducted 0.1 GBS points for the error in not making this a Scrambler, but added 0.1 GBS points for the surprise of bread-and-butter pickles, so it all worked out in the wash... or the omelette);
New England® Coffee S'mores ~ 6.5

___________________

1. If you are like me (and, by that, I mean curious about word origins, not a middle-aged pervert... not that there is anything wrong with that), there is this explanation from WikipediA:

Bread-and-butter pickles are a marinated pickle produced with sliced cucumbers in a solution of vinegar, sugar and spices which may be either be processed by canning or simply chilled as refrigerator pickles. The origin of the name and the spread of their popularity in the United States is attributed to Omar and Cora Fanning, a pair of Illinois cucumber farmers who started selling sweet and sour pickles in the 1920s and filed for the trademark "Fanning's Bread and Butter Pickles" in 1923 (though the recipe and similar ones are probably much older). The story attached to the name is that the Fannings survived rough years by making the pickles with their surplus of undersized cucumbers and bartering them with their grocer for staples such as bread and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment