Sunday, July 2, 2017

Big Joe's




(No official web-site.)


Place: Big Joe's

Location: 717 Monterey Boulevard (at Gennessee Street); phonicular contact: (415) 333-2878

Hours: open for "Breakfas"[1] Tuesday-Friday at 7:00am, Saturday & Sunday at 8:00am (well, somewhat; I had arrived just at 8:00am and they were not anywhere near ready to open; so I walked around the neighborhood for about ten minutes and when I returned they had finally opened [and three other couples had already been seated and beaten me inside])

Meal: Spanish Omelette (or "Omelete") ~ Yukon gold potatoes, bell pepper, avocado, Cotija cheese[2], topped with mild roasted tomato salsa, mixed greens, toast; and a glassa orange juice to drink


I drove back over to "(not so) Sunny"side this morning for a return visit to Big Joe's (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, February 15th, 2015). It was a nice enough drive over there this morning; I cut through Saint Francis Wood and Monterey Heights to get over to "(not so) Sunny"side, but the thick morning fog was still hanging in there.

This is a nice, friendly little neighborhood diner-type joint. They have a decent selection on their menu for "Breakfas" options. Some other ideas that I could have gone with: 
Brioche French Toast ~ pears, pecans, vanilla and Mascarpone cream, syrup (if I am in a sweet [or "swee"] mood the next time I go there; this will have to be my choice);
Spinach and Egg Breakfast (or "Breakfas") Sandwich ~ avocado, tomato, Cheddar cheese, ciabatta (or "ciabata") bread, home potatoes or mix greens;
or 
Breakfast Burrito (or "Breakfas Burrio") ~ scrambled eggs, Yukon gold potatoes, yellow onions, Cheddar cheese, mixed greens - salsa on the side.[3]





I always like it when potatoes are already incorporated into a dish... but I still thought about getting a side of home potatoes (restaurant potatoes, whatever), anyway. (You can never have too many potatoes for breakfast [even when it's for "Breakfas"].) Just a minor quibble here: the home potatoes (restaurant potatoes, whatever) were in large chunks (much like you would expect from homefries); however, I think this would have made for a much better manageable omelette (or "omelete") if the potatoes had been sliced into smaller/thinner pieces. The green bell peppers were charred/grilled first before adding them inside the omelette (or "omelete"); I thought that this was a nice touch, too. 

I went with sourdough as my toasted bread side, and they were nice enough to substitute a small bowla fresh fruit in place of the rabbit-food stuff. This was a nice double-surprise as the fruits included had a lot of chopped/diced mango (as well as strawberries and white/green grapes); because of which, I am adding an extra 0.1 Glen Bacon Scale points to the meal total (or "toal").

For condimentary supplements (or "condimenary supplemens"), Big Joe's offers both Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatio® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce. I used some of my own Lucky Dog Medium Fire-Roasted Pepper Sauce (Thanks, Brian!) on top of the omelette (or "omelete"). I suppose this really didn't need any extra-added heat as their mild roasted tomato salsa had a nice flavour to it already. Anyway, with that dosage, I killed yet another soldier from my collection. That leaves only twenty-five more bottles of hot sauce left to use in my refrigerator (or "refrigeraor").


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Spanish Omelette (or "Omelete") ~ 6.7

___________________

1. [ sic ] (as printed on their menus) 

My guess is that they only serve Coffee and no "tea" during the early morning meal...

However they may spell it (or mispel it), it beats being called "Brunch" (or "Brunc").

2. http://www.cheese.com/cotija/

3. If it seems that I am unduly making fun of a simple typo (or "ypo"), well, I am. 

I am not trying to play Intro-Net Nazi Grammarian here. I just think it is funny how anything can go to a professional printer (or "priner") now-a-days with a pretty (or "prety") obvious error and not be corrected (or "correced"). You would think that two auto-spell-checker-thingys must have failed their duty (or "duy"). 

(And I can tell you that my auto-spell-checker-thingy is having a fit this morning with all of these silly mispelingz.)

No comments:

Post a Comment