Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Just For You bakery & cafe




http://www.justforyoucafe.com/


Place: Just For You bakery & cafe

Location: 732 22nd Street (between 3rd and Tennessee Streets)

Hours: open Monday-Friday at 7:30am, 
Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am for "Brunch
(they actually opened at 7:30am this morning; I was expecting them to be operating on a holiday/weekend schedule, though)

Meal: Cherie's Home Fry Special ~ home fries topped with stir-fried veggies and Cheddar cheese, with two eggs over-medium laid[1] on top of the pile; and a cuppa (and one refilla) Dark Roast N'Arlins-style Community® Coffee with Chicory 

http://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee/12-oz-ground-coffee-and-chicory






(Today's EweToobular juxtaselections should truly be self-evident: it is a well-known fact that Bruce Springfield, Cindy Williams, and Ryan [no relation to John, J.Q., or Sam] Adams are all big fans of homefries [it is unknown what their opinions on "the vile weed" are, though].)


It had been a little over a year since I last ate at 
Just For You bakery & cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Sunday, June 5th, 2016), so I figured it was about time for a return visit. I really do like this place and if it were (a lot) closer, it would easily be in my Breakfastary Starting Rotation.

I have eaten there enough in the past that you would think that I would have tried all of their stupid vegetarian options already. However, there are still a few other ideas that I would like to check out (one of these days):

(off their Today's Specials menu-insert)
Red, White & Blue Waffle! (they actually added the exclamation point, not me!) ~ Belgian[2] waffle topped with fresh blueberries, bananas and a homemade (well, bakery & cafe-made) fresh raspberry sauce! (Again, the exclamation point was their doing!) Let your server know if you want whipped cream! (Well, duh! [And I am completely okay with the last exclamation point in that description!]);

or

(off the ¡Mexican Especiales [noted without an ending "!", I can only assume that they had run out of exclamation points by using them in the name of all the special dishes] section of both their Weekday Menu and Weekend Brunch Menu)
Breakfast Burrito ~ 2 eggs scrambled with black beans, Cheddar cheese and green salsa (diced jalapeño & tomatillo) in a flour tortilla (I probably would have gone with the "with zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and spinach" option, and, if they would have let me, topped with some of their really tasty Huevos Rancheros Vegetarian red sauce HOT! [See? Another exclamation point! This is why they couldn't afford another "!"!]; don't worry, for those of you that do partake of the dead, decaying animal flesh, they have three other burrito options: "with bacon", "with chorizo", and "smothered in chili con carne" 
[by the way, all of these are noted ¡sin un signo de exclamación!]);

or

(off the Eggs, Scrambles, Omelettes, and More section of their Weekend Brunch Menu
Greek Scramble ~ 3 eggs scrambled with Feta cheese, onion, spinach, tomato, and Kalamata olives (this was to be my intended choice; I have had it before and really liked it, but I had never tried [that I can remember] the dish that I went with this morning).

Additionally, for the meatetarians out there, (also off their Today's Specials menu-insert) they offered Pulled Pork Benedict! ~ Bbq pulled pork topped with two poached eggs & Hollandaise sauce over homemade (bakery & cafe-made, whatever) biscuits. Served with choice of home fries or grits.





Now in spite of the odious "veggies" wording in the ingredients list and especially the inclusion of a preposterous preponderance of the most spitefully odious "the vile weed", I really liked this meal. Fortunately, the other "veggies" (ugh!) on top of their really good homefries included: zucchini, red bell peppers, white onions, mushrooms, and spinach ~ all of which I really like. Once again, any time potatoes are the basis (and, in this case, also the base) of a meal, I will normally like it. 






Just For You bakery & cafe has probably the best selection of condimentary supplementation (outside of my refrigerator[3]) of any restaurant that I can think of. They offer a virtual panoply of picante preferencias. I could list all of the bottles on their shelves... but I won't. I used some of their Cholula® Hot Sauce Chipotle on top of one of the eggs and some of my own Palo Alto Fire Fighters XXX Ghost Pepper Sauce[4] on top of the second egg. I was going to use some of their Try Me® Tiger Sauce instead of one of the hot sauces that I had schlepped with me, but luckily I read the ingredients before pouring any out; it includes dead, decaying piscine junk (in the form of anchovies). 


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Cherie's Home Fry Special ~ 6.8 (I am deducting 0.1 Glen Bacon Scale points due to the overt inclusion of "the vile weed", but I really liked it all still);
Community® Coffee with Chicory ~ 6.9

___________________

1. That is as in "placed (on top of... )"; these were not freshly ovulated by the neighborhood poultry in the kitchen area.




2. Here's a little-known Cliff Clavin-ism fact:

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and little Benjy Franklin were all of Belgian descent. They originally were in favour of a Black-Yellow-and-Red coloured national flag instead of our current Red-White-and-Blue schemed Ol' Glory. They finally decided against it when they found it too hard to rhyme "Three cheers for the Black-Yellow-and-Red".

(Hey! I don't make this stuff up. I read it on the Intro-Net, so it has to be true!)

3. Because inside my refrigerator it's way too cold and claustrophobic to eat breakfast (or "Brunch" even), anyway.

4. I forced... er... poured some of this hot sauce into a small plastic ramekin for my friendly waiter-server-guy person to try later when he had his breakfast break. I would really like to see more local restaurants offering this great hot sauce. Hopefully he will inform the owner-lady person, Adrienne, about how tasty it truly is so that she might procure some for customers to use in the restaurant (bakery & cafe, whatever).

No comments:

Post a Comment