Sunday, July 30, 2017

the Grind Cafe


"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." ~ (apocryphally attributed to) Abraham Lincoln


"Wanna bet?!" ~ (apocryphally attributed to) Donald Trump (but more than likely he just apocryphally plagiarized it from a speech of Hillary Clinton's)



http://www.thegrindcafe.com/


Place: the Grind Cafe

Location: 783 Haight Street (near the corner of Scott Street)

Hours: open 7:00am every day of the week (wellll... supposably)

Meal: Acropolis (Omelet) ~ artichoke, tomato, olives, spinach, & Feta, served with hash browns (noted as two words, but at least it is in the plural) or home fries & choice of toast; and a 12 oz cuppa 
the Grind House Blend




(Today's EweToobular juxtaselection? Who isn't aware that both Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are big Feta fans, too?)


Thankfully, the Grind Cafe (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, May 14th, 2016) was open for business this morning when I did an exploratory drive-by (a little after 7:15am) before committing to finding a nearby parking spot. Even so, I had another back-up plan all ready to back-up this restaurant just in case they were not open early in the morning again. ("Fool me once... ")

I was glad that they were actually open this morning so that I will try to make more return trips in the future. ("Fool me twice... ") There are still a few other good ideas that I want to check out:

Lower Haight (Omelet) ~ chicken apple sausage, spinach, sun-dried tomato & Feta (if they would substitute the grinded-up poultry stuff with their vegetarian sausage patty);

Scott Street (Omelet) ~ avocado, spinach, bacon, onion & Cheddar (without the bacon, of course);

Garden Scram (Scrambler; hence the "Garden" moniker) ~ spinach, peppers, mushroom, tomato, onion & Cheddar;

or

Hash Brown Hill ~ a mound of home fries or hash browns covered with melted Cheddar & topped with sour cream, black olives, avocado & green onion (Next time? Plus, I would probably have them add an egg or two on top of the Hill).

Strange Amazing Gracie Interlude of the Day

The next customer behind me in line was a blind man with his seeing-eye dog (a very happy and friendly Black Lab). After I had ordered and left the front counter, I overheard him say to the barista/counter-guy: "I haven't seen you for a while... well, I have never really seen you, but you know what I mean." Later, as the blind guy was leaving, the barista/counter-guy says to him: "It was nice to see you again!"

(I hope none of my blind friend's will read this and take offense.)





"But, Brian, didn't you just have a Greek-style omelette yesterday morning for breakfast?!"

First off, mind yer own beeswax!
Secondly, I purposefully went with this omelette to do a comparison with yesterday's meal!!
And, lastly, but definitely not leastly, it's Feta, dammit!!!

While there was not nearly as much Feta as yesterday's omelette (but that was pretty much an anomaly anywhere), this was still a very good omelette. My one complaint would be that it was made with those plain ol' sliced black olives of the canned variety (but most places do this, too, anyway).

I went with homefries and sourdough (or home fries and sour dough) as my side choices. I love when a place gives you a choice of potato sides. And these homefries were really very good once again ~ made with (white) onions and red and green bell peppers throughout.

Not that most coffeehouses don't have good Coffee (it is right in their name, after all, but there are still some places that could use better roasts or blends), but the Grind Cafe really does offer a very good cuppa, too. I asked the barista/counter-guy who does the roasting for them, but I only remembered that it was from a local roastery in Berkeley. If I didn't already have four different types of Coffee in my refrigerator, I probably mighta picked me up a bag to bring home, too.

the Grind Cafe has Tabasco® Brand Pepper Sauce (Original Red Sauce) and Tapatío® Salsa Picante Hot Sauce on the tables for use as condimentary supplements. I used some of my own Pepper Palace Chocolate Habanero Hot Sauce (Thanks, Cindy & that other person!) on the potatoes and some Fan The Flames Sriracha Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) on the omelette.

the Wild Parrots of San Francisco Interlude

Just as I was entering the coffeehouse, I heard and then looked up and saw a mini-pandemonium of four of the colourful chatter-birds flying southward over Haight Street (probably heading to the Mission for their own  breakfast).


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Acropolis (Omelet) ~ 6.4;
the Grind House Blend~ 7.2

No comments:

Post a Comment