Sunday, July 23, 2017

Butter Love Bakeshop


Richmond (District) Coffeehouses
Part 25b

When life hands you Marathons... make (or just buy some) lemon tarts!



http://www.butterlovebakeshop.com/


Place: Butter Love Bakeshop

Location: 3717 Balboa Street 
(between 38th and 39th Avenues)

Hours: open Tuesday-Friday at 7:30am, Saturday-Sunday at 8:00am

Meal: a slice of Cheddar-Jalapeño Quiche; a Sun-Dried Tomato & Ricotta(???) Galette; a large chunka Nectarine Bread Pudding; and a large cuppa 
Mr. Espresso® Organic Seven Bridges Blend 
("There are seven bridges that keep the people of the Bay Area connected, and the Seven Bridges Blend pays homage to the diversity of people and tastes in the San Francisco Bay Area." Well, technically, there are eight bridges in the Bay Area; most people forget about the Antioch Bridge. Or, perhaps, Mr. Espresso® doesn't count that big brick red one heading to Marin as an "organic" bridge.)

https://mrespresso.com/coffee/blends/




(I know what your're thinking: "Hey, Brian, just what the h*ck is today's EweToobular juxtaselection?" I bet you were not aware that ol' Satchelmouth himself invented the New Orleans Marathon; he was also a big fan of galettes ~ savoury or sweet.)


I really shouldn't need an excuse to get back to 
Butter Love Bakeshop (see previous 'blog-entry from Sunday, March 13th, 2016), but(ter) the San Francisco Marathon was back in town, cutting the city in half, and basically making me an involuntary hostage (as opposed to any of those "voluntary" types of hostages in Stockholm) in my own neighborhood. So, rather than try to deal with any stop-and-go (more stop-and-wait than go, really) traffic to get anyplace else, I figured I could just walk the eight blocks over to this bakery-joint and stay very local.

I sat outside in the backyard patio area (and I was the only idiot to do so this morning; the fog was still pretty thick and had not burned off yet and everything was kinda dewy and wet). I sat at the only table that was still dry, as this table was under a covered area right by the back door. There were four to five other tables of varying sizes that could seat from two to six people, though.

One of the hardest problems was deciding on exactly which savoury and/or sweet baked-goods items to go with ~ there were just too many good choices. I almost went all savoury and was thinking about also getting their savoury bread pudding item this morning (which I have completely forgotten already what it included; I just remember that it was vegetarian-[but probably not Vegan-]friendly). I do remember that the sweet galette choice was a strawberry one (it looked very good) and almost went with that over the savoury galette.




I put the "(???)" after the "Ricotta" in the galette name above because I could not remember what was in it and forgot what the front counter lady-person had told me it included (and, yes, I could have asked again on my way out, but didn't want to seem like too much of a geek[1]). Needless to say, I enjoyed all three of my pastry/baked-goods items this morning. I really have to say that I liked the Nectarine Bread Pudding the best of the three; I kinda figured that I would, and that was one of the reasons I chose it over the savoury bread pudding.

Once again, I really didn't bother to ask what Butter Love Bakeshop had for condimentary supplements. I actually brought a few of my own bottles of hot sauce and used just a little Dat'l Do-it® Zesty Chipotle Hot Sauce (Thanks, Mom!) as a complementary pick-me-up on the quiche.

I am sure that both Uncle Albert and Fleet Admiral "Bull" Halsey would be mighty proud of this place...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Quiche ~ 6.6;
Galette ~ 6.8;
Bread Pudding ~ 6.9

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist (mostly etymological) pointer of the day:

(Note: Copied directly from our friendly friends at WikipediA, so take this explanation for the paper that it is written on.)

The word comes from English dialect geek or geck (meaning a "fool" or "freak"; from Middle Low German Geck). "Geck" is a standard term in modern German and means "fool" or "fop". The root also survives in the Dutch and Afrikaans adjective gek ("crazy"), as well as some German dialects, and in the Alsatian word Gickeleshut ("jester's hat"; used during carnival). In 18th century Austria, Gecken were freaks on display in some circuses. In 19th century North America, the term geek referred to a performer in a geek show in a circus, traveling carnival or travelling funfair sideshows (see also freak show).

No comments:

Post a Comment