Sunday, August 13, 2017

Dottie's True blue café


"Say it ain't so, Dottie... say it ain't so!"



http://dottiestruebluesf.com/



Place: Dottie's True blue café

Location: 28 6th Street 
(on the corner of Stevenson Street)

Hours: open Thursday through Monday at 7:30am

Meal: Mascarpone Stuffed Cinnamon Pecan French Toast ~ pure maple syrup; and a cuppa (and 1-1/2 refillas) their house Coffee


Roh-roh!

Sacred bovines, Batman! In the space of the last two days, I have found out that two of my favourite breakfastary locations are either closing or changing hands. Yesterday I read on defacedbook that 
Cafe GoLo is closing (well, has already closed) their restaurant on Lombard Street. (Where will I go to get my pre-Super Bowl pastries now?! You can not keep expecting Tom Brady to win every Super Bowl without the extra-added mojo of Sweet Potato Tarts, ya know!) And this morning I saw the following signs in the front window at Dottie's True blue café (see last 'blog-entry from Saturday, July 15th, 2017):






There might be some good gnus in both of these (possibly). Cafe GoLo may re-open in the space that they have been trying to open their new endeavour, Grits, (for the past four years now!); however, that remains to be seen and when. And even with a new ownership, Dottie's True blue café should (per Kurt, at least) retain the same name and menu (and Specials; I made sure to ask Kurt if they will still offer the Zucchini Cakes, and he assured me that they will). 

"We shall see.", said the deaf-mute-blind man.

Anyway, I sat in "Seat #1" once again. I was the second "group" in line (behind a family of four), so I pretty much was guaranteed that corner seat at the counter-top overlooking the kitchen. The guy sitting next to me (that would be "Seat #2") was from Sweden and told me that he will be studying at UC Berkeley (Go Bears!) for the next year. I forgot to ask him how to say "French Toast" in Swedish[1] (they probably put lingonberry butter on top of it instead of pure maple syrup, though). His English was perfect; he even asked for his eggs "sunny-side up", which is not a phrase I would expect them to learn in English 101 at Helsinki U[2].




I was pretty much set on ordering any version of French toast if it was available this weekend on their Specials board. Otherwise, I might have had to settle for the Zucchini Cakes once again. I liked this version of stuffed French toast; it was made with some kinda cinnamon-pecan bread, as best I could tell. Once again, this meal was deceptively more food than I first thought when it was placed in front of me. I just barely managed to finish (or swedish) the entire plate. I am glad that I did not get a side order of potatoes to go with the meal like I was planning on at first. I am also glad that I ordered a cuppa to go with breakfast this morning, because it really helped curb the latent sweetness of the dish. "But, Brian, you could have just skipped pouring any extra maple syrup on top, couldn't you?" Yeah, I "could have", but I "didn't"... so just mind yer own nose-wax!

As for condimentary supplements this morning, none were used, nor needed (other than the aforementioned maple syrup).

When one door closes, it does not necessarily mean an end. It just means that you need to get yourself another set of keys...


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Mascarpone Stuffed Cinnamon Pecan French Toast ~ 6.5

___________________

1. Stupid, useless cunning linguist pointer of the day:

As best I can tell, the Swedes call "French Toast" ~ "fattiga riddare", which literally translates as "poor knight"; however, I do not know the origin of that nomenclature. Now I kinda wished that I had asked ol' Ole Olsen how to say "French toast" in Swedish.

2. "But, Brian, isn't Helsinki in Finland?!" 

Finland... Sweden... Switzerland... whatever...

Like it really makes a difference, it's all Scandinavian* to me, anyway...

*("But, Brian, Finland and Switzerland aren't really Scandinavian countries, are they?"

Just knock it off with all yer d*mn questions, already! This is a "Breakfast 'blog-thing", not no "Geometry 'blog-thing".)

No comments:

Post a Comment