Sunday, August 6, 2017

Gallardo's ~ Mexican Restaurant


"I love the smell of cilantro and corn tortillas in the morning... it smells like... desayuno mexicano."
~  Teniente Coronel Guillermo Kilgoré



(Still no official web-site.)


Place: Gallardo's ~ Mexican Restaurant

Location: 3248 18th Street 
(on the corner of Shotwell Street); 
phonicular contact: (415) 436-9387

Hours: open every day of the week at 7:00am

Meal: Huevos a la Mexicana ~ scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, & bell peppers; and a cuppa (and two refillas [well, seeing as I added mucha leche, these were probably closer to only 1-1/2 refillas]) Café a la Mexicana (this is where I actually add lots of cream or leche and two-to-three azúcares per cuppa [you know what they say: "When in Mexico City, do as the Romans do." ~ or something like that])


Sometimes you just feel like getting un típico desayuno mexicano[1] (even if Charlie surfs or doesn't). So, I made another return visit to Gallardo's ~ Mexican Restaurant (see last 'blog-entry from Monday, December 26th, 2016). This is such a nice little Mission-destination restaurant. I have only eaten there a few times now, but each and every meal has been very good.

When I do get back there again, there are still a few otras buenas ideas:

Huevos Rancheros ~ fries eggs on a tortilla topped with ranchera salsa & Monterey Jack;

Torta de Heuvo ~ scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, & bell pepper cooked in a crepe style;

or

Nopales Omelette ~  filled with melted cheese, onions, tomatoes, bell pepper, & cactus (which is what nopales is/are).

However, I don't think that I will ever be quite brave (I think the word in Spanish is "estúpido") enough to try the:
Banana Omelette ~ filled with melted cheese & banana (I can only assume [hope] that by "banana", they actually mean "plantain", which might make it a little more palatable, but even so...).




Okay, this may not be the prettiest of plates, but I ain't like those guys Bobby Flay or Alex Guarnaschelli[2]... I actually eat with my buccal cavity and not my optical organs. Beauty aside, this was a very decent and tasty scrambled-up mess. It maybe coulda used some fresh sliced jalapeños or serrano chillies in it, but that is just my preference. Gringo-wise, it was espicy enough once I added some of their homemade (restaurant-made, whatever) salsa into the mix.

They were a bit late in bringing out the fresh-made corn tortillas this morning (I was more than half-way done ~ I am not sure if that is an optimistic or pessimistic estimate, though ~ with the meal before they brought them out), and, because of esta tardanza, I feel it necessary to deduct 0.05 Glen Bacon Scale points. However, because there were actually four (¡Cuatro!) tortillas this morning in the warmer/holder-thing, and they were hot and fresh off the grill, I am adding 0.1 GBS points. Two tortillas are usually my limit, but I forced myself to eat three; no way was I gonna waste the good stuff.

As for condimentary supplementation, I simply used about four or five spoonfuls of their own homemade (restaurante-made, lo que sea) salsa muy sabrosa all over the scramble-mess. I did not even think about bringing any of my own hot sauces with me this morning. Who the h*ck brings their own Brown Ale to Newcastle upon Tyne?


Glen Bacon Scale Rating:
Huevos a la Mexicana ~ 6.45

___________________

1. Well, seeing as I have never really had breakfast in Mexico (the very few times that I was actually ever in Mexico was for afternoon or evening sojourns into Border-town Boys-towns), I have no real experience upon which to base this.

2. On the food network, they always seem to preach: "You eat first with your eyes..." 

Say wha'?! 

Well, if that is the case, I feel very sorry for Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli then.

I tell ya, I did try to eat with my eyes once before, but after poking myself several times with my four-pronged eating utensil, I decided I'd stick with the standard method of forcing food down me gullet instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment